Thursday, November 15, 2007

Hurry, Santa!


It is clearly the beginning of the Christmas Season. Now, I don't know this because Santa is already at the mall and my mailbox is stuffed full of catalogs. I know because we have just gone through the process of THE FAMILY PICTURE. I stress about this every year. What should the kids wear? What about their hair? (AKA: Will Savannah take her hair out of that ponytail?) Will they smile or at least look pleasantly serious? These are the questions I wrestle with each year--when I have only the kids to worry about. This year I was able to add the thoughts, "Isn't my husband handsome (he really gets better looking all the time) and "Seriously. How many 'before' pictures does a girl need?"


This year was no different. Although any major disaster was again averted by our very talented photographer, Carrie (thanks again). But do truly wish I could substitute someone for me. Even a cardbord cutout of me 15 years ago would suffice. I can't tell you how much I hate being photographed. And then you have my sister (Natalie, MRK, Tanner, and Bentley shared our photo session), looking like a model in EVERY picture. The bright side is that the pictures are back and the cards have been ordered (check out shutterfly.com for your own Christmas cards and so much more). In only a few short days I will have that ever looked forward to pleasure of stuffing and sending off Christmas cards. Not because I want everyone to see my beautiful children (no, the complete family picture did not make the final cut), but because I hope that everyone I send a card to will send me a card so that I can check out their attractive family. So please send a picture! This year, however, has an added level of difficulty. Last spring my computer crashed. I mean a totally and completely back to square one kind of crash. And I lost many of my addresses. Especially ones that I had aquired in the last year or people who have recently moved. So, wish me luck!


On a sad note, today we celebrated what would have been my brother Erik's 28th birthday. It was a difficult day but I tried to think about good times. We (my family, Nat's family, and Ryan) got together and had a yummy dinner filled with a bunch of Erik's favorites. Back in Utah, Jessica and Matt dedicated a performance to him and everyone went back to Shannon's afterwards for caramel apple empanadas from Taco Time. Happy Birthday Erik! We love you!


I have finished two books in the last week. Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card and The Chopin Manuscript by Jeffery Deavers (and 14 other authors). If you are interested, check out my reviews on goodreads.com.


Before I end today I want to share with you what I have learned about communication this week. All four of my children have told me in various ways that I am spending too much time on the computer, but they all do it in different ways. Savannah - 14: "Mom. Get off the computer." Sage - 12: "Are we having dinner tonight?" Haven - 3: "Pow, pow, tackle." (The sounds I hear as she mistreats Ryder in an effort to get my attention.) Ryder - 1: He just violently picks up my hand off of the mouse and throws it to the side--sometimes repeatedly if I don't get the message the first time. And without any words he actually drives the point home most effectively. As a result I am going to scale back my computer use during the children's waking hours. After all, it has started cutting into my valuable soap operas (of course I'm joking! My t.v. will only tune into PBS anytime during the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.--no, not the whole time! What kind of a mother do you think I am?)


Happy Thanksgiving to all! Until next time.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I love that picture and I love your blog! It was awesome!

Becky said...

I'm assuming you wrote this at 11:15 pm because of your goal to not use the computer so much when the children are awake! I love your blog. I knew you were an avid reader but you are also a very good writer. I think you should write a book. I am serious. And if it happened to have a certain vampire named Edward in it that would be great (actually I haven't read the books I am waiting for the 4th one to come out and then I will read them all.)

MRK said...

your comment on Natalie being a model in every picture is very true. However Jenny if you actually tried to smile and have fun you would be like a model as well. So smile and cheer up!! It is just a picture. You are beautiful! you just don't see it in yourself. nobody does. (except Natalie)

Jessica said...

I like you so much. You are an amazing writer. I'm with my mom- you should write a book.

Eliza said...

Jenn, I saw your pictures and I found you really attractive, maybe a little too attractive if you know what I am saying (wink wink)