Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm it.


So I guess I've been tagged. I didn't realize that this was the risk I took when I began this blog a few weeks ago. And though I do enjoy reading interesting things I didn't know about people, I am not sure I am equally up to the challenge. Well, here it goes...

1. I love ice. (Just so you know, after making that statement I realized that I haven't had any ice yet today and so I got up and got myself a glass.) I should clarify that while I have appreciation for ice of all kinds and would generally choose some kind of ice over none at all, not all ice is created equal. I could very possibly write a book on the differences in ice and have actually considered writing a travel log about where to find good ice across the country. (Have I started to sound insane yet?) Let me just sum it up by saying that size isn't always important. It is the consistency that matters. Fresh is better. If you can manage to get that rabbit pellet ice just as it drops from the ice maker you have found heaven. My favorite places to get ice are: Sonic (you can buy it by the bag), Great American Cookie (watch out--this stuff gets crystally (is that a made-up word?) and yucky fast--fresh is best, and 24/7 Express gas station (better known as "Happy" in the Elison household). I someday hope to invest in an ice machine of my own. I have probably already paid for one by now. And by the way, I have heard all of the things that people associate with ice lovers. Yes, I am anemic and no to all the other stuff.

2. I might quite possibly be part English. I can't duplicate the accent worth beans but I love English literature, English humour, and I've been known to drive on the wrong side of the road. I am generally drawn to anything English. I haven't been to England yet but hope to remedy that in the next year. I'm not all that fascinated with royalty (except in the historical or Shakespearean sense) and I don't have much interest in their politics, but I would have loved to have been Elizabeth Bennett's neighbour (minus the chamber pots).

3. I love to read. This isn't exactly a newsflash, I know. If I could get paid for reading I would be rich (I've got to figure out how to do that!). I like almost everything except the smutty or gorey stuff. I actually suffer from the fact that I will never be able to read everything I want to read. And also the knowledge that there is stuff out there that I will never even know about troubles me. I used to feel compelled to complete every book I picked up but I do have a fairly new (3 or 4 years old) policy about reading: if I have read 50 pages and am finding zero enjoyment I stop reading. It rarely happens but some books are on the bargain table for a reason.

4. My eyes are blue. This isn't that remarkable but let me tell you that until I was about 19 I thought they were green. I don't know how I got through most of my life thinking that other than the fact that even today when I look in the mirror they still look a little green to me. But I am told that they are definitely blue despite what by driver's license said for all those years.

5. I am a huge procrastinator. I've convinced myself for years that I do some of my best work when I am under the gun. I am not so sure of that now and I don't know how to change this aspect of my personality. Here is an example: In six short hours I will have several women over at my house. Before they arrive I must clean my very messy house (cluttered with breakfast dishes, toys and the remnants of Christmas decorating), figure out--shop for--and make whatever food we will be eating, and take a shower. And even as I write this I am convinced that I can do all of that easily in the two hours right before.

6. A few other things:
- my favorite color is green
-I love most all kinds of music
-I wish I had a maid who would at least clean the bathrooms and hang up clothes
-I only require about 5 hours of sleep per night
-I have worked at a movie theatre (great high school job despite smelling of popcorn), telemarketer (the only job that made me physically ill each time I had to go), printing company (where, among other things, I learned to drive a forklift), Stein Mart (I think I basically worked for merchandise--I may have actually paid them to work there), pre-school teacher (mostly fun but I had a cold for two years straight), and mom (1993-present)
-I have a testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
-My family is the most important thing in the world to me

Was that too much information? I promise to not talk about myself anymore. Ever. And if I lost you during the paragraph on ice I do apologize. Sadly there are a lot more things about me that are crazier than my ice addiction. I'm not sure who to tag. I'm new at this and everyone I know has either been tagged or just tagged me. Becky? Do you have a blog? If so, you're it!

9 comments:

seana said...

Loved every second of it!!!! Love every second of you. I loved ice when I was pregnant, but now my teeth are too bad to chew it all the time. You are so cute and fun.

Jessica said...

Just so you know, every time I get a drink at Sonic and I'm done with the soda and open the cup to eat the ice, I think of you and your obsession with Sonic ice. You are the only person I know who will make a Sonic run in the middle of the night for ice.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea you liked ice that much! Where have I been the last 26 years? In all seriousness, you know you have an obsession when the people at the cookie place see you walking up and have your drink ready. I love it and I love the rest of your post.

Natalie said...

that anonymous was me

Zachariah Parry said...

I walked outside today and the entire world was covered in a quarter inch of ice. It took me twenty minutes just to carve some holes on the van that would allow me to barely see. You would have loved it - it was so fresh!

Also, Daniel Craig is the best James Bond.

Becky said...

I hate to disappoint you but my niece tagged me and I still refuse to do a blog. I can't stand the thought of having that hang over me...the knowledge that I have to write something. I guess we'll have to go to lunch or dinner or something if you want to find out 6 things about me!!!!

Becky said...

Oh and I love the music that accompanies your blog!

Eric the husband said...

I just ate lunch at TacoTime on Eastern at Flamingo. You can add this to your travel log as another place for great ice (rabbit pellet).

Eric the Husband said...

Um, you only "require" 5 hours of sleep. I would say you "get by" with only 5 hours of sleep. You should try 7 or 8 hours consistantly and see if you don't feel better and more energetic. Not trying to be too preachy, but I'm sticking with D&C 88:124 - "... retire to thy bed early that ye may not be weary; arise early that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated."