Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Giving Thanks

Even though I find myself hurtling towards Christmas at the speed of light, I would like to take a moment to comment on Thanksgiving and the events of that weekend. I would have done it sooner but I was so inconveniently sidelined by the tag (thanks again, Eliza).

We arrived in Orem around midnight after a fairly uneventful drive (thank goodness for small miracles!). As I had volunteered to make rolls for the next days meal I still had a few things to accomplish that night. I was proud of myself for choosing a recipe that I had actually made a few times (I usually tend to choose a new untried recipe when I have an assignment--rarely the wisest idea) in order to avert any sort of disaster. A tried and true recipe would surely make the task go more smoothly.



(http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Blue-Ribbon-Overnight-Rolls/Detail.aspx - I actually put these in the refrigerator overnight instead of out on the counter. Then let them sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before working with them the next day).

So, as I begin to make the rolls my mom is helpful in getting the ingredients and tools out and ready for me. As I begin batch #1 (one of four) I am excited to use my mom's fancy new measuring cups. Actually I think she got them for Christmas last year but this is my first opportunity to use them. I would someday like to get some for myself!









Now you'll notice that these fantastic collapsible measuring cups are shaped a little different than what you might be used to. For instance, the one cup measure is quite wide across the top. Well, as I measure each cup of flour I find myself thinking, "It would be hard for me to get used to such a shallow 1 cup measure. But I'm sure that the width makes up for the lack of depth." (Look, I'm no chef and there is a reason that I don't wing recipes--I need exact measurements--I don't "eyeball" well.) The first batch seems a little on the soupy side and I can't remember if this is what the dough looks like. I ask myself: Does the high altitude have something to do with it? Will the dough thicken up in the fridge? Am I ruining the Thanksgiving day rolls? What stores are open tomorrow morning? I carry on, however, and finish the remainder of the dough. It is all in the refrigerator and I begin to clean up. My mother (unfortunately for her but fortunately for me) cannot sleep even though it is going on 2 a.m. She walks into the kitchen as I am cleaning up and I casually ask her if she had a hard time adjusting to the odd size of the measuring cups. She picks the one cup measure up and pushes it through in the other direction and it is magically larger. Enter: very sick feeling. We figure out (by doing some fancy measuring) that each batch is missing about one cup of flour. I pull the dough out of the refrigerator and begin adding the missing flour. It ends up a little lumpy and I know that these will not be my best rolls ever. The next day I do need to pull the bigger lumps out of the dough before baking but they turn out mostly edible. Add some butter and they are not half bad. All in all it worked out (not half as bad as The Great Chocolate Pie Disaster of '03).

We spent Thanksgiving dinner with my family and most of the remainder of the weekend with Eric's family. We were celebrating his parents' 50th wedding anniversary (go Barbara and Jerry!). It was a fantastic weekend. Everyone was there except for Jared, who is serving a mission in New York. On Friday morning at the Scera Theatre we viewed a video of mom and dad's life; had a huge family picture taken before enjoying lunch, a very nice and touching program, and a visit from The Underwear Fairy at Thanksgiving Point; and spent the rest of the weekend in Midway, Utah at the Zermatt Resort.


It was quite fabulous! We all had such an amazing time. The resort was beautiful, the pool was great fun, the food (especially the brunch) was beyond delicious, and the company was the best. There were a few little hiccups (aren't there always) but they were easily ironed out when put in the hands of my very capable sister-in-law, Diana (she just knows how to get things done--matter of fact, by the time Diana had worked her magic you only had to mention the name "Elison" and things were handed to you).

Some other highlights that weekend were: BYU beating Utah, seeing the movie Enchanted, Savannah and Sage's yearly Thanksgiving night sleepover with Maren, inadvertently buying a new TV (MRK braved the crowds on Black Friday in order to do a little people watching at Walmart but came home with a new TV. Needless to say this little escapade did not go over too well with Natalie. They already have two very nice televisions and no need for a third. So Eric and I took it off their hands), grandma making us cozy new slippers, and visiting with the Clarks in St. George on the way home. It was a great weekend.

I am thankful for:

-my family (all of you!)

-good friends

-a home and a car and running water and heat and air conditioning and indoor plumbing

-the gospel and all the blessings it brings

-books and the people who write them

and a few things I'm thankful for right at this moment for one reason or another:

cream of wheat, baby wipes, toothpaste, a bra that fits, Christmas music, candles, lotion, slippers, and Kleenex

I also want to tell you that Haven brought a cute little cut out of a hand home from preschool and on it was written, "I am thankful that my mom goes to Costco." I'm thankful for that too.

Need some Christmas fun in your life? http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1189023607

Until next time.

5 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

I love your blog. Haven is right about costco. I am thankful for it too. And also, my baby dances everytime I read your blog- she apparently loves your taste in music.

Eric the husband said...

Good post sweetheart. The rolls rocked!

Natalie said...

Yes, your rolls were awesome. Anything you make turns to gold. Anytime I need a good laugh I will think of the roll story. That was so funny.

Hacking it up said...

HELLOOOOOooooo!!!I was so excited to see your comments on my blog!!!HOW ARE YOU??? It will be so nice to keep in touch beyond the once a year Christmas card!Can I put your blog on my list of contacts?...and by the way,...don't be too impressed with my blogging abilities...you'll notice I still have the ugly background...I don't know how to fix that yet...Your family looks great! I can't believe how fast these kids grow up!

Hacking it up said...

Oh, and by the way--great roll story! I've got 3 words for you...RHODES FROZEN ROLLS! :)