Wednesday, January 16, 2008

At the Movies

I don't pretend to be any authority on movies or the film industry (I saw the critically acclaimed movie "The Hours" and believe me, it was painful to watch--especially for me considering the fact that three couples were stuck watching what was suggested by me). And I don't get to the movies too often. But I saw a few over the holidays and I do subscribe to Netflix (yea Netflix!) so I'm going to attempt some short reviews of the movies I've seen lately.

In no particular viewing order:


The new Masterpiece Theatre Persuasion (watched in the comfort of my own family room last Sunday night)



First off, I didn't like it as well as the Cirian Hinds/Amanda Root version. That said, I did like it a lot. Wentworth was yummy to look at even if he was a little on the gruff side for my liking. There were plot lines that were more straightforward (for better or worse) in this version. For instance, the Mr. Elliot/Mrs. Clay/Mr. Elliot entanglements were more clearly explained. Overall I am left with a desire to read the book again. I've seen the 1995 version so many times that I've taken for granted that certain characters own certain lines. This new version gave some of those same lines to different characters and I am curious to know to whom they really belong (according to Jane, that is).

The Kite Runner (saw this last weekend with my hubby)


Very good adaptation of an amazing book. Although there is a satisfactory mostly happy ending, don't see this movie if you are depressed and looking to be uplifted. Like the book there are several troubling scenes and I found the state of Afghanistan upsetting under the rule of the Taliban--upsetting but informative.

I Am Legend (saw this in Utah with Eric over our Christmas vacation)


I had no idea what to expect from this movie. I hadn't heard anything. I did like it. I like being scared when there is more suspense than gore involved. And though I did shut my eyes a few times and actually screamed out loud in the theatre, the ending was worth the scary journey. I know people who walked out of this one. Eric's mom said that she would have stayed if there had been even one beautiful thing to look at. That is understandable. The beauty was there--it just came at the end. Clearly this is not for everyone and I never want to see it again, but I give it a thumbs-up.

Juno (watched this a couple of weeks ago with my sister)


I was eager to see this movie, having heard many good things about it. And my 14 and 12 year old girls were begging me to let them watch it (they are not allowed to see PG-13 movies unless we have seen it first--they won't be seeing this one). It was fantastic! Ellen Page as pregnant high school student, Juno was amazing. I also really enjoyed Michael Cera as Bleaker, Juno's friend and the father of her unborn child. I am not a huge Jennifer Garner fan, but she and Jason Bateman as a married couple hoping to adopt Juno's baby were really great. This is a movie about a teenager but it has very adult themes. It was hilarious and heartwarming and had a more than satisfying ending that I didn't see coming. See this one! But don't take your teenagers.



This really completes my most recent movie experiences. But as far as DVDs go, let me just sing praises to Netflix once more. No late fees, keep the movie as long as you like, they are quick to resolve any problems, and, most importantly, they carry all kinds of obscure movies that don't see the light of day at Blockbuster. I've been a member for a year or so and really enjoy it. I even get something for Eric or the kids every once in a while. Recent favorites:



The House of Eliott is a British television series that I really enjoyed.



I love Wives and Daughters. I don't know why I don't buy it. I've rented it several times.


And finally, my most recent personal acquisition (as far as DVDs go):


Love this show!

6 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

I am glad you reviewed I am Legend because I didn't know anyone who had seen it. I might just partake now. I loved Juno, too. I nearly wet myself and found that it had a good message. I sure like you. I really look forward to your blogs. You are so attractive!!

Chris and Karen said...

Hey thanks for the reviews. It is nice to hear honest reviews by someone who will tell the truth.

Natalie said...

You know I love Waitress. Juno was amazing. I want to see it again. I agree with you about I am Legend. It was good but I would probably never see it again. One of these days I am going to check out all those british shows you watch. Oh, and yes, NETFLIX RULES!!

Hacking it up said...

I love movies! Lance and I go out every weekend, and we usually go to the movies!

I too went into "I am Legend" totally clueless. And like you, I too screamed and smacked Lance a few times (I always hit people near me when I get scared)

I also enjoyed Juno, but one of the 14 year old Mia Maids in our ward was there sitting a couple of rows behind us with her friends, and all I could think was, I wonder if her mom knows she is here seeing this?...there is no way in H-E- double toothpicks MY girls are seeing this!!

There is no way my heart, or eyes could take seeing "The Kite Runner".
Lance and I listened to the audio book on one of our many drives to Utah, and I couldn't take it!...however, for a good read about an awesome guy-Greg Mortensen- who is building schools over in Afghanistan and Pakistan, read "Three cups of Tea" It's a great true story!

I also enjoyed "Waitress" I loved the name of her pies! :)

I definitely will be renting those DVDs you recommend!...They look great!

Jenn Elison said...

Steph,
Right. There is no way my girls are seeing Juno either. As much as I loved it. Didn't you love the audio book for Kite Runner? I listened to it as well. I thought the author had an amazing reading voice. Are you on goodreads.com by chance? I would love to see what other books you recommend. My DVD version of Waitress came with a set of pie recipes. Those are great names. We don't get to movies very often so if you see something worth seeing, pass is along.

Eliza said...

Very intriguing. It is fun being on the reading end of movie reviews. Keep 'em coming.