Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Blessed Sunday




For those of you who didn't get the reminder via my friend Steph's blog (and if you don't frequent her blog, you should. You won't be sorry.), it is that marvelous time of year again when Masterpiece Theatre begins its new season (see link at right). As if I don't look forward to it enough (Sunday night at 9:00 everybody better sit down and be quiet or make themselves scarce!), this season begins with the Compete Works of Jane Austen. Some are new productions and some are classics (somebody try to out-do A&E's version of Pride and Prejudice--I dare you!), but it's Jane Austen and if I am not on the couch every Sunday night for the next 10+ weeks then I am, um that is, I will be, uh, I would have.... Hmmmm. I actually can't think of any reason why I won't be. If the house burns down I will find a t.v. somewhere else.

With all these new movie versions coming out don't forget these little gems:



And my personal favorite:




And don't forget to stay tuned later in the year when Masterpiece Theatre presents Mystery! This is a great series. Some of my favorites:

The Prime Suspect Series is actually over (there were 7) but you can still catch re-runs.


Eric even likes this World War II era detective show.


I always look forward to Inspector Lynley. Check out the books this series is based on by Elizabeth George.


Happy viewing!

10 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

You are too funny. I have never watched Masterpiece Theater, but perhaps I will partake. We should make it a girls thing. Anyway, I like you.

Mel said...

I'll totally check out Masterpiece Theater this Sunday and let you know how it goes. Even better, I'll call you while it is on and we can chat about it the entire time. :)

Chris and Karen said...

I love Jane Austin but I am a little skeptical. I love the movie versions of Sense and Sensibility, and Emma. Will masterpiece theater match up? I am not worried about the 6 hr version of P&P love that one but the others is where I am worried. Any insight?

Jenn Elison said...

Karen, All I can say is that how could you pass up this opportunity over a little worry? Isn't it better to watch and possibly be a tad disappointed than not to watch at all? Some of my favorite movies come from Masterpiece theatre. They always do a bang up job. There are sure to be some differences but just prepare to enjoy yourself.

Natalie said...

I am so excited!!

Becky said...

Thanks for the heads up. I love all of the Jane Austin movies I have seen so far. I really like Persuasion also

Eliza said...

So I just DVR'd (is that how I should punctuate that?) all of the Masterpiece Theatre movies. Unfortunately, I am coming in on part 2 of Jane Eyre. I guess it is a good thing I know what happened in the first half. Isn't it a good thing you starting blogging? Look at all the lives you are changing for the better.

Eric the Husband said...

Night one is done and I think Jenn wants a new family. Sorry for the lack of peace and all the questions. But I couldn't figure out who was who with so many cousins and captains all dressed and talking exactly the same. Maybe they could give somebody a mustache or peirced nose or something every once in while so we could tell them apart! Persuasion was a good flick though, in spite of my confusion.

Hacking it up said...

Eric is totally cracking me up! I'm impressed that he tried to watch it though! I started watching, but my family was not so cooperative, plus, my brother Cody and his fam were here visiting. Luckily, I also DVR'd it, and will be watching it this afternoon while I fold stupid laundry!!

Jenn Elison said...

Steph, I did appreciate Eric's attempt at watching the show. There were a few too many questions from his corner of the room. And though I tried to patiently answer, I'm quite sure my impatient nature was revealed in full. The only plus to folding stupid laundry is having something good to watch while doing it. (If only there was some mechanism that would put it away for me it would be barable.)