Monday, January 21, 2008

Town Square, Feeling Ill, and Northanger Abbey



While Eric and my brother-in-law MRK went skiing on Saturday, Natalie and I took the kids to a new shopping area called Town Square. It is just off the strip and easy to get to (not quite as easy to get out of, we found). It is outdoors and they have an amazing little play area complete with slides playhouses and a maze. The kids had a blast. We also ate lunch at Claim Jumper and shopped a little.

Many of the shops aren't open yet (the "soon to open" Old Navy looks huge) but we found some fun new places. We really like H&M. I had never heard of it before. It was an interesting combination of clothes for the whole family. There were some fantastic buys and a few things that were not even close to my style. And by my style I mean my kids' style. I didn't even make it out of the children's department. There was an interesting variety of things and I was able to buy a baby gift, some really cool t-shirts for Ryder, a My Little Pony purse and a new dance leotard for Haven. Sage and Savannah found some things as well (I had to draw the line at the black furry Russian hat that Savannah wanted). It was a fun day that ended with an interesting experience in the parking garage (Natalie-I'll let you blog about this one!).

If only the day could have ended there. Instead I found myself feeling very ill. And by the end of the night I was losing my lunch. (I am hoping this wasn't a food poisoning experience because I really love Claim Jumper and don't want to think that they would do that to me!) So I spent Saturday night and Sunday sick as a dog. But no one else seems affected (yet) and I have high hopes that it is gone since I woke up this morning feeling a lot better and having some appetite.

But can I just say that I did love Northanger Abbey on Masterpiece Theatre last night! I didn't have the highest hopes since I read the book in high school and it doesn't compare to the others. Of course I now want to read it again. I loved the actors and thought it was so well done. It was such a bright spot in a literally pukey day.

6 comments:

Chris and Karen said...

I was going to comment regardless of what your post was on last nights master piece. I loved it. I came a little late due to Amazing race, which was amazing. But I have now DVR'd all the upcomming master piece movies. I am so excited. Chris was like what are we watching, but he watched. Thanks for letting me know about them. H&M I have heard but know little of it. Expensive, ok, great deals?

Aivaz Family said...

I feel your pain. Being sick and having to deal with kids can be the worst. I will have to check out both Town Square and H&M. I saw that that movie was on Masterpiece Theater last night and I thought of you. You are cute. And also, I am really looking forward to the parking garage story, so someone better deliver.

Anonymous said...

I want to set the record straight about Eric and MRK skiing. MRK did not go skiing!! He does not put his feet on two planks, and doesn't feel he ever would! I don't need two planks and two poles to help me ride down a mountain at a high rate of speed. I have enough balance and agility to keep myself up on one board, not two. Two plankers stay at Alta and let the real boarders ride!! SNOWBOARDING RULES!!!

Eric the Husband said...

Speaking as one who has participated fairly extensively in both sports, I think what MRK really meant to say is that he doesn't possess the coordination skills needed to handle two skis, so he has to snowboard. Snowboarding = on the butt buckling up and out ad nauseam, hopping like a bunny to get to the edge of the slope, followed by a few long broad slow turns or one continuous long scrape down the middle of the run, followed by hopping a whole bunch more, punctuated by screeching and thumping over urban objects that someone dragged up to the otherwise beautiful mountain (whose lame idea was this - I say keep the city in the city!). Skiing = bliss, nirvana, heaven!

Hacking it up said...

I am so glad you got to go shopping!
I'm so sorry you got sick!--hope no one else gets it!!

I too loved Northanger Abbey--definitely a different style for Jane, but enjoyable all the same!---How UGLY was that John fellow? eww...glad he was the bad guy...these people need to learn how to kiss better though...

Becky said...

We have been taping the Masterpiece theatre things but haven't watched them. I couldn't get through Northanger Abbey in book form so I am glad the movie delivers!