Friday, February 22, 2008

"How can instantly improved vision not be at the top of your to-do list?"

Brian Regan

Once again I am divulging embarrassing information about myself so that you or your loved ones will not suffer making the same mistake. The information is embarrassing because I am an idiot and that fact will not be easily hidden when you hear what I've done. And please don't assume that because I am passing along what I have learned that I assume you do dumb things too. But maybe you know someone who tends to idiocy as I do and you can pass this along to him or her.

I wear contacts. You know, the disposable kind that you are supposed to change every two weeks--or whatever (I actually don't even know what they recommend because I don't pay any attention--are you sensing where this is going?). So I have been having some trouble with my eyes lately. Just the general "can't see very well, eyes are irritated and red all the time" kind of thing. Normally at this point in my life as a contact wearer I would switch out my contacts for new ones. However, my prescription has expired and I don't have any left in my house. Let me assure you that I know that the proper response to this is, "I need to make an eye appointment so that I can get some new contacts." My actual response was, "I'll just make these work. They are okay. Really."

Not really. I finally went to the eye doctor yesterday because my right eye was knife-stabbingly painful whenever it was exposed to light (basically every time I opened it). So I spent last Monday in mild discomfort, Monday night and Tuesday wanting to poke my own eye out of my head, and finally--once the pain began to subside--called to make an appointment on Wednesday. (I have to say that part of the foot-dragging on my part was due to my fear that the eye trouble was diabetes related. Thankfully, that isn't the case.) So it was Thursday when I went to receive an exam (or three) and a mild tongue-lashing from my eye doctor. She was actually very nice (it was a first-time visit to her by me) and explained that my situation is very serious and that neither eye is "very happy." My right eye has a Corneal Ulcer and my left eye is severely irritated. What could cause this you ask? EXTENDED CONTACT USE. Yes. This is my fault. It was avoidable and unnecessary. The solution: 1) No Contacts!!!! 2) Aggressive anti-biotic drops in my right eye. 3) Get new glasses today. Right now. Do not delay (did I mention the part where my glasses broke about 6 months ago and I haven't replaced them yet--resulting in the fact that I wore the aforementioned contacts even more than I would have had I owned a pair of glasses). 4) Pray that the scarring isn't too serious and that this is the end of my eye troubles. (Okay, that last one is my own personal prescription.)

So let this be a lesson to those of you out there who may take the sense of sight for granted. You are playing with fire by not changing those contacts. As my doctor said, "You are at a risk for infection and other problems by wearing contacts at all. But your risk goes up exponentially when you don't change them as often as you should." I am now sporting new glasses that Eric says are "dramatic." (And for which I will have to get a new accurate prescription for once my eyes clear up!) I don't know when or if I will wear contacts again. I spent the last few days feeling temporarily blinded and it wasn't much fun. Don't be an idiot! Take the time to see clearly. Now--on to the next problem I've been ignoring. How to choose?


These are they! What do you think?

10 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

Love the glasses!!! Can't wait to see them on. You are far from an idiot. I have been avoiding several problems in hopes they will just go away. You have inspired me to get on the ball and start getting them taken care of.

Chris and Karen said...

they look great. I was wondering why it was taking sooo long for a new post. I guess the not being able to see could be part of it.

Linda said...

They are so cute jenn! i'm glad you have decided to take care of your eyes!

Anonymous said...

I have been so excited to find your blog!!!!

Thanks for letting me learn from u about the hazards of putting off appointments-its something I easily do

Any chance we can see a picture of the glasses on you?

Jennifer (JOLLEY) Millett

e-mail me-jennifer@millettfamily.com

Mel said...

I am so glad you posted this! Because of you, Michael changed his contacts this morning. I will now be "that nag" who makes sure he changes them more frequently. I hope your eyes are okay!

Jana said...

I can easily see how you didn't take care of your eyes...I do stuff like that all the time. Moms have to take care of the kids first, all "mom-related" problems tend to be put on one of the many back burners. I really do like your glasses too!

Hacking it up said...

Crap Jen! I am so glad you are now on top of the problem!

It seriously scares me how alike we are....I do the exact same thing with my contacts!....Thanks for the wake up call!!!

LOVE the new glasses! You've always looked cute in glasses!...I can't stand to wear them though...

Becky said...

The glasses are extremely attractive and I bet you are very attractive wearing them. I have given up on contacts but not because they irritated my eyes (I actually took them out every night and didn't wear them too much longer than I was supposed to) but because they no longer did the job. I hate wearing glasses but I do see better.

Brooke said...

How did my first post not show up?? Weird. Thanks for your post! You are so nice! I love reading your blog. You have such a cute family! I saw the girls at YW and they are so grown up. So any advice on how to get a boy for #4??

Natalie said...

I am so glad you finally went to the doctor. Your poor eye looked horrible. I felt so bad for you. Let's help each other to not procrastinate important things like going to the doctor when we are sick. You know I am the exact same way. I dread going. I am glad you are feeling better. Your glasses are awesome. You look like such a hottie (which isn't hard for you anyway).