Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Festivities


Easter morning:



"It's just what I've been begging for several times every single day since we saw it in the theater last November."

"Mmmmmm. Chocolate." Ryder wasted no time tearing the foil off that chocolate Easter egg.

"Breakfast!"

What is better than one chocolate Easter egg? Two!

"Looks like we both scored."


Savannah and Sage got cute bags instead of baskets this year.

MRK, Natalie, Bentley, Tanner, and Ryan came over for breakfast and a little Easter Egg Hunt. Eggs Benedict has been our traditional Christmas Morning Breakfast since forever. Grandpa and Grandma Kopp made it and we look forward to it all year (grandpa's Hollandaise Sauce recipe is the best!). Now that we spend most Christmas mornings here in Henderson, I make the Eggs Benedict for those who are in town. A few years ago we decided that since we have all the eggs around at Easter anyway, we might as well make it a bi-annual event.


Top an English muffin, slice of ham, and a poached egg with the BEST Hollandaise Sauce

Combine the following ingredients in a heavy sauce pan and warm over low heat:

1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. butter
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp. lemon rind
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Fold in 1 cup of whipped cream. Continue to heat on low and stir often.
So good. Really. My mouth is watering.


Ryan


Natalie--famous for her poses


Eric in the hammock with Haven, Bentley, and Tanner
Easter Egg Hunt:


"Hooray! Let's go!"

Ryder found one and he was happy.


Haven


Tanner

Bentley

Here is what happens when only one of two three-year-olds finds the "special" egg:


And what do the sympathetic older sisters do?

They make a second "special" egg. Now everyone is happy.

Ready for church:


Ryder was less than excited about his Easter tie. Thus the temper tantrum. (Being my first boy, this was a hiccup I did not anticipate. Now, experience with hair bows--I have that!)

He got over it. (And yes. He is carrying some sort of purse which he also insisted on taking to church. He has three older sisters. What do you want me to do?)

And here is Haven with one of the few smiles she bestowed that afternoon. She was not in the picture-taking mood either. She was upset about having to wear white shoes. I should have known. When we bought the shoes last Friday she informed me that she did NOT want them. And even when I took them up to the counter she said, "Are you really buying those white shoes?" "Yes," I replied. "I wouldn't," she warned. I tried to convince her that they were the best shoes to match her pretty new Easter dress. I told her that white shoes look best--she wanted to wear her black church shoes. She said, "Easter is not about white shoes!" Hmmmm. She got me there. But she still had to wear them.


Savannah--I know! She is smiling in a picture!

Taking a decent picture of all four kids together proved VERY difficult. (Notice Haven sans shoes.)

Savannah gave up and I'm losing the youngest two. Thanks for persevering, Sage.

At church I was very impressed by the wonderful choir program in Sacrament Meeting. It was very well done. I only wish I had been able to focus on it more. It's always hard when the little people in my life are hyped up on sugar. (I can't really use that as an excuse. They acted no differently than any other Sunday.) But let me just apologize (even though they are most likely not readers) to all those who were sitting anywhere near us. What can I say? Having Eric in the choir and unable to help didn't improve my situation. At least the Kennedy kids were there and helpful in keeping mine entertained.

I usually teach the CTR 9 class, but on Sunday, after teaching my class, I taught Haven's Sunbeam class as well. What a cute bunch of kids (Bentley was in the class too). They all worked very hard at pronouncing "resurrection," and they did a pretty good job. They are so smart and so faithful. And not one of them thought that Easter is about a rabbit, even though they all most likely spent the morning stuffing their faces with bunny supplied chocolate. I am personally so grateful to the Savior for his willing sacrifice and for the hope that His resurrection brings to all of us.

Wow. This is a really long post and if you are still reading, then thanks for sticking with me. I hope you had a happy Easter.

14 comments:

Diane said...

Jen, I love reading your posts. So well written. I love the pics of the egg hunt...what great older sisters to make another "special" egg. How sweet is that! I could not get my boys to pose for any sort of Easter picture. Savannah looks a bit like Sandra Bullock in her smiling pic. (I think Sandra Bullock is beautiful by the way)
It looks like you had a wonderful Easter!

Linda said...

Cute pictures! The girls look so pretty and Ryder so handsome! I love the easter egg hunt pictures!(Haven having a melt down!) I love that picture of the Savior. Thanks for sharing your Easter! Wish I could have been there.

Aivaz Family said...

fabulous. The whole thing. Especially the melt downs. My baby is famous for her pre-church tantrums. Also, I loved Natalie's pose.

Britain said...

Sorry about making you pull double duty on Sunday, but I am very appreciative as well. I love, love, love that picture of Haven throwing the fit. We are almost out of that phase with our two oldest, but I am sure Alyssa will start her tantrums right about the time they mellow out. We had drama getting Easter Pictures as well, but out of fifty takes, you're bound to get a good one, right? Well, not always. This year we just got lucky.

Chris and Karen said...

hey I always feel bad for those who sit near us in church. If it makes you feel any better. I never hear your children. I always think everyone elses kids are quite and well behaved except mine. Thanks for teaching Will.

CElison said...

You are good at writing really long posts. I just write a small description in my blog (So far).

Love ya,
CElison

Brooke said...

I feel like I was there for all of Easter morn!! I can almost taste the eggs! So.. um.. where's my basket? P.S. I love Havens dress!

Jaime Stephens said...

ha that was a fun post I love the shoe story and Ryder is funny I love the purse he has. Your kids are very cute and I love the picture of Natalie she's very pretty.. Glad you guys got to spend the day together.

Becky said...

My favorite was Haven's morning hair.

Sarah Goodsell said...

How fun! I can't believe how big your girls are it make me feel old! Looks like you had a good easter and all your kids looked so cute!

Natalie said...

Great pictures. My favorites were Haven screaming and Ryder face down on the floor. Classic. Thank you so much for throwing that one of me in there. Appreciate it. Your kids all looked so beautiful.

Eliza said...

Fantastic post. Easter looks like Christmas at your house. Score. Your kids are all beautiful. (Sage, I freaking love your dress). Nat is awesome. I can't tell you how many pictures I have of her posing.

Hacking it up said...

Lance would say that when compared to mine, your post was rather short... :)
Looks like a fun Easter! It's great you have family around! Such CUTE KIDS!!! Everyone looked great in their Easter clothes..and the tie thing?...good luck with that!...my boys STILL throw fits over wearing them!

Jessica said...

Wow. What a day you had! Who thought of only have one "special" age with so many tantrum-aged children? My favorite is what Haven said, "I wouldn't" about the dress. You can tell she has much older sisters!