Friday, March 28, 2008

If You Know You're Obsessed It's Okay...Right?



As much as I dislike informing my family and friends of my many weaknesses, I know that an accurate depiction of my life this past week would be incomplete without mentioning my latest shallow (yet entertaining) obsession. So let it be said from the get-go that I am well aware of the time I have wasted and of what could have been accomplished had I been more responsible this past week or so. As a result I have no need of lecturing of any kind. Next to the cleanliness of my house (I'm quite sure that the whole family was clothed and fed and had most every need met--unless it was something I was unaware of due to my preoccupation) I have only sacrificed my own sleep and the time I usually devote to reading. Is this coming across as an apology or an excuse? It's meant to be a little of both, I suppose.

My latest addiction is Veronica Mars. I never watched this series when it was on the air--even though I wanted to--because we did not get decent reception on the CW. Since then I have had a few friends who have recommended it and I decided to put it in my Netflix queue--at the top. I know it is about high school students. I know it has an element of the soap opera to it. But it is smart, funny, and little bit sexy. (I really don't think it is quite appropriate or my big girls and so they have not been allowed to join in). It also has that crime solving element in it that I always enjoy. What can I say? I am a mystery lovin' gal. I have finished all three seasons and agree with most fans out there that it is a shame it didn't go on (I was somewhat satisfied with the ending but wish there could have been at least one more season to resolve some issues). I try to be choosy about what I watch on television and keep it to a minimum, but I would have gladly made time for this one if given the chance. There is so much garbage on and most of it is not worth the energy it takes to turn on the television. This is an exception.


Well, I'm not going to say anything more about it. I hope this little writing exercise may serve to free my mind from thinking about this show as much as I have been. It was good fun, but I guess I'm ready to get back to reality. I try not to let myself get too obsessed about things very often (the Twilight series came before this--so it's been a little while). Maybe I will write a post about the things I have become unhealthily obsessed with in the past--and overcome, to remind myself of my ability to reign it in and get back to normal. Ridicule me behind my back (or in a comment) if you must, but watch this series and see if I'm not right!

16 comments:

Kristen said...

I am so glad you wrote this post because I loved that show! My husband thinks it is because I am drawn to all shows in a high school setting (which is my embarrassing truth), but the dialog was quick, the girl was smart, and like you said there is the mystery element. So don't be embarrassed, you're not the only one.

Aivaz Family said...

I have heard many, many recommendations for this show, so I am excited to partake eventually. And also, I watched One Tree Hill- you have nothing to be embarrassed about. I love you and your hot glasses.

Chris and Karen said...

I never watched a whole show, but I really enjoyed it. I would always stop when flipping chanenls until directed by another to change it.

Linda said...

You are so funny Jenn, you crack me up. And I will not comment on any time or sleep that you wasted watching your series. I love you!

Eliza said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly...fantastic show. I would even go so far as to say Veronica Mars is the best written female character in the history of TV. I was a little surprised you didn't go on and on and on and on and on and on about how amazingly hot and fantastic Logan is.

Jenn E said...

Eliza-I was showing some restraint. How about if I just agree that what you said about Logan in true. Very very true.

Eric-it is mostly because he reminds me of you (except the whole bad-boy thing--you are a saint!).

Maren said...

My curling iron's brand is Hartmans. Kami got it. So... yeah. I'm not sure where she got it. I have been really into curling my hair too. That's great!

Savannah E said...

wow, mar. That was soo random.

Jessica said...

I don't think I have ever heard of that show. Maybe I will have to look into it. The last show that I watched (on DVD) that I became 100% obsessed with was Alias- fantastic show. I am also a Twilight addict. When these things end it feels like life can't go on because all your (fake) friends died!

Becky said...

Maybe you have to see a whole episode. I only saw parts of it when Eliza was watching and I wasn't all that impressed. Am I going to get stoned by all of those who love it? I don't seem to get addicted to many TV shows though. I usually end up getting disgusted by them by the second season or so.
Oh and is the word verification thing at the end of the blog really necessary?

Jenn E said...

Becky-I will never stone you! I value your opinion even if it is wrong in regards to Veronica Mars. I think there must be something lacking in my own life that I become obsessed with things periodically. Better that I am addicted to a t.v. show than incorporating all the drama into my own life.

And yes--I have recently found that the word verification is necessary after I almost downloaded a virus from the comment section of Eliza's blog. I had contemplated removing it until I had that little experience.

Brooke said...

Great. Another show to have to buy at Costco. Perfect. Will this insanity ever end? I am already gearing up for the depression that will follow once Gilmore Girls comes to an end (I am on season 5 of 7). Maybe this will help ward off the depression??? Mabe knowing that there is yet another addictive series out there just waiting to bump the Barbie movies from their spot in the DVD player and force the children to play with their toys they never touch will actually help when it comes time to my life being over because... well.. the series is over. All I can say is that I love living vicariously through the charachters in these movies/books. It makes me feel skinny and fulfilled.

Hacking it up said...

I've never even heard of this ! But I will have to check it out!! ...I want to see "hot logan"!! :)

Natalie said...

Thank you Jenn and Eliza for turning me on to this show. It is amazing. I love every second of every episode. You are not crazy Jenn. I, too, am obsessed. Let's start a club.

Diane said...

Jenn I love your honesty :) I will have to check this out in my spare time. I am too busy though with my own obsessions...maybe I'll be brave enough to blog about them later.

Zachariah Parry said...

Eliza has been trying to get me to watch Veronica Mars. If a bunch of you ladies like it, perhaps I will too.