Sunday, March 16, 2008

What's for Dinner?

I am not a terrible cook. I am not an amazing cook. I like to cook (don't like to clean up afterwards). But I am a cook who has some bad habits. Namely that I like to try new things all the time. And I have poor judgment when it comes to deciding when this is a good idea. I tend to try new recipes when I am having a party or when Eric has to take something to the office. At the very least I do it when we have guests eating at our house. But often I am successful! And the family likes the new dish. The problem then is that it is possible that I will never make it again because I am on to something new. I think my family's biggest complaint (aside from no dinner at all) is that I forget about those tried and true dishes that everybody likes. The other night I asked Eric what he wanted for dinner and he reminded me of Huli Huli Chicken. This is a recipe that my friend Shauna gave me years ago. It's so easy and so yummy and everyone loves it. I hadn't made it for ages. Here is the recipe:

Huli Huli Chicken

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
1-2 tsp. ground ginger (I stick closer to 1 tsp.)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I usually press these)
1-2 tsp. sesame seed oil
1 tsp. green onion
4-6 chicken breasts

Mix all ingredients. Marinate chicken in sauce for at least 1 hour. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Serve chicken whole or shred and serve over rice.

Can we eat yet?

Here Haven. You can have my vegetables.

You're right! It is good!

I had never shredded the chicken before but tried that this time. I really liked it that way. The chicken is already so tender from being marinated and cooked in the sauce that it is a cinch to shred. Everyone gobbled it up. Even Haven who initially turned her nose up at it.


For dessert we had another Elison family favorite (all of us except Savannah). Now, we don't always have dessert, but we recently bought yummy raspberries at Costco and they are perfect for Berries and Custard. I actually found this recipe in Betty Crocker's Bridal Edition Cookbook. (I love this cookbook because it has so many helpful tips and basic recipes in it.) The recipe is actually called Raspberry Stirred Custard. I love it because it reminds me a lot of the berries and custard we used to eat at The Tree Room at Sundance. It is also great because, as the title denotes, it is "stirred." This isn't one of those custards that you have to put in ramekins and bake in a water bath. It is super simple and all you have to do is keep stirring (you don't want clumps). It doesn't take that long at all. (And by the way, if you run out of berries it is delicious all on its own!)

Raspberry Stirred Custard

1 cup raspberries (we've tried it with other berries or a berry mixture)
1/3 cup sugar
2 TBSP cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 tsp. brown sugar

Divide raspberries evenly among 4 individual serving bowls.

Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in half-and-half. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently. Stir in vanilla.

Spoon custard over raspberries. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Serve warm or cold (we like it better warm). Store covered in refrigerator.

Yum!!

I'll try to post a recipe from time to time (when they work out) and if you have something your family finds yummy, please share!

15 comments:

Natalie said...

You are an excellent cook and everything you make is delicious. That chicken is so yummy. Thanks for the dinner idea. I love that berries and custard. I wonder why you didn't invite me over when you made it. That was rude. Keep posting recipes. That is a great idea.

Linda said...

You are an amazing cook Jenn! And I love that chicken and the stirred custard! I love when we come to visit because you and Natalie always make yummy meals and desserts! When I come up with a great recipe I'll post it!

Love you

Aivaz Family said...

That custard looks fantastic. I want to try it. I am not a cook, but I will try to pass on good and easy recipes.

Chris and Karen said...

I only wish I could cook as good as you. The Chicken looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing

Mel said...

Yum! We'll be there next Sunday!

easleyfamily said...

You can come cook for us!!! Yum!

Jana said...

I agree, could you come and be my pesonal chef? I am really excited to try both of these recipes! THANK YOU! I can see my Mom salavating over the custard. She is from New Zealand, and this seems right up her alley! "delishoush" as Gideon would say!

Becky said...

Ill have to give the recipes to Dave. He is the "try new things" cook in our family. I am a very boring cook.

Jaime Stephens said...

Yummy looks good I can't wait to try it..

Hacking it up said...

Ya know...I used to cook...I used to be a good cook..but I have to tell ya...I have lost interest. Why? It may be because I have picky eater kids, and SOMEONE always complains....or beause i'm just not that into food in general...although you'd never guess that by looking at me...anyway, your chicken looks awesome, and like something that my family would actually eat!..So, I will give it a try! Thanks!

The custard looks yummy too!

Jessica said...

I still have the recipes you brought to our YW recipe exchange and love them. Last night we had the missionaries over and had creamy chicken over rice (which we now call Eliza Extravaganza). Whenever I make that for other people they RAVE about it. Keep the recipes coming!

Kristen said...

Jenn,
I am so glad you found our site, because now I've found yours. I'm kind off addicted to reading blogs, and it's much better when I actually know the person. Your entries are very entertaining, I may become a regular to your site.
Kristen E.

Eliza said...

I will second nat. You are a fantastic cook. Also, i think it is funny that I originally got the recipe for Eliza Extravaganza from you, but I get all the credit for it. Cool, huh?

Jenn E said...

Eliza--I'm sorry. In what way is that cool? Hey--it's good stuff and Eliza Extravaganza is less boring than Creamy Chicken Pasta, which is what we call it. I made it last Sunday and took a picture for my next recipe blog. Maybe I will swallow my pride and call it Eliza Extravaganza. Maybe not. I actually got it from my mom who got it from her friend Debbie. Debbie Extravaganza? Debbie's Delicious Dish? Debbie's Dinner?

grandma kopp said...

Yummy I will have to try that recipe. That family of yours is so darn cute. Is that the dessert you made when I was there. That was delicious. I will have to try it sometime.