Thursday, April 10, 2008
Do I Sound "Pitchy" to You?
We didn't jump on the American Idol bandwagon at the beginning. I resist reality shows as a rule. But let me tell you the reasons why I like American Idol (in no particular order):
- We can watch it as a family. No censoring is necessary. (Although we do have to occasionally try to explain Paula Abdul's behavior: "Ummm... Maybe she had too much cough medicine...")
- It's just plain funny. Yes. We do enjoy those first few weeks when they purposely let the truly terrible or crazy people audition for entertainment purposes.
- Music. We can't live without it. We'll take it in almost every shape or form in order to fill our daily quota.
- Simon. Okay. So he can be a jerk. But he's nice to look at, has a British accent, and he is the only judge who gives useful information that can help the contestants improve.
- Idol Gives Back. As the most watched show on television, it is heart-warming to watch them be so charitable and make the world more aware of how we can help. When we watched last night I hadn't really intended to donate, but before long we just had to! (You can too: here.)
- The spirit of competition. Even when it goes wrong (can you say, "Taylor Hicks?").
I'm not always thrilled with the outcome and I don't always buy their albums, but American Idol rocks.