Friday, April 18, 2008

Springs Preserve


Last Saturday we spent the day at the Springs Preserve. We've wanted to check it out since it opened and before it becomes body-meltingly hot here. We ended up splurging for the family annual pass (one result of this is that each member of our family has his or her own Springs Preserve photo ID card--even Ryder and Haven--very exciting). It is a good thing we went that route because we didn't come close to seeing everything while we were there.


It is a seriously large place. And they are in the process of constructing the new Nevada State Museum on the same property. It's due to open in 2009 (hopefully before our annual passes expire!).




There are a lot of "hands-on" things for the kids to do.



We witnessed cool a flash flood!





The kids had fun trying to build a house.





I think we disturbed the fox's beauty rest.



We had a hard time dragging the kids away from the sand box.



I don't know what Ryder is looking at but he thinks it's cool (it was probably a lizard or a snake).


Haven tried to sneak into the Dam movie.



The auction simulating early life in Nevada was really interesting.


After much hoofing around we were all STARVING!! The only place to eat there is the Wolfgang Puck Cafe. Maybe not ideally priced for a family lunch, but seriously delicious. Eric and I shared a Cobb salad (my choice) and a four cheese pizza (his choice). And while the salad was beyond yummy, the pizza, I think I may safely say, was the best pizza I've ever tasted. I may have to restate that as my past pizza memories come into focus, but really, I would go back in a heartbeat just for another slice.



The view from the balcony at the cafe is amazing! Poor Savannah. Stuck at the kid table.

They have a super fun play area complete with gigantic animals and a train:














The little kids couldn't get enough of the train in the play area. Needless to say we left with them kicking and screaming.

We didn't have a chance to check out any of the trails so that is what we look forward to next time. Thank you annual pass. And for you locals who aren't interested in an annual pass, they do have a locals special. Good times!

12 comments:

Becky said...

Where is this place? I've never heard of it.

Chris and Karen said...

Wow I have never heard of this place, also. Where is it how long has it been open. Link to a web page? any important info would be great

Chris and Karen said...

ok I'm not the brightest person. I clicked on the link and found all info. Thanks

Linda said...

Looks like you all had a fun time! We will have to go there next time we come down (if it isn't to hot!) I love all the pictures of the kids, looks like they had a blast.

Natalie said...

That was a lot of fun. We need to go back soon. The pictures turned out so cute.

Aivaz Family said...

Looks like fun!! Speaking of fun, last night was just that. I love your face. You are great.

Jessica said...

That looks fun. I'll have to look it up and maybe go when I'm there. I have two months to blow with my parents working almost every day of those two months.

Zachariah Parry said...

Dang! I wanna go! Are the passes transferable? Probably not if they take pictures. My kids look kinda like Haven and Ryder, right?

Hacking it up said...

I love places like that! It looks like everyone had a great time!!
I can't believe Haven tried to sneak into the Dam movie...but I guess that's better than stealing something from the Dam gift shop...I love your humor!!!

CElison said...

WOW! That looks like a FUN place! I'll tell my parents about it and see if we can go there someday! OH! and have I ever suggested Arches National Park in Moab, UT.

Bridget said...

So glad to hear all about the Springs Preserve! We have not gone yet, but will now. I just watched a Chefography on Wolfgang Puck and wished that we had his bistro here; and now I know that we do! Cool. You have a great writing style and blog, Jennifer. It is always a treat to read.

Bridget said...

Just checked the prices from your link and the family pass is the way to go! That is how much I have paid to the Lied Museum for their family pass, so they are competitive. Thanks for the info.