Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Start the Day With a Good Breakfast


We spent this past weekend having a blast with family and friends. We also thoroughly enjoyed conference. We actually saw most of every session despite little kids making loads of noise and big kids spouting the occasional complaint. It was all very fulfilling. AND filling. Between sessions on Sunday we had crepes. If you've spent any amount of time at our house at meal-time, you have eaten crepes. Eric served his mission in France and brought back an authentic French crepe recipe. I have tried some different recipes over the years but this is the tried and true.

Crepes

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 cups milk
3-4 Tbsp. oil

In a large bowl, mix the flour and sugar together. Add eggs and stir with a fork to make a paste. Pour the milk in GRADUALLY, stirring after each addition. Stir in oil.

This is a good example of how the batter should look.

The key here is to stir the batter well with the fork between each addition of milk. You might be tempted to just dump it in but then your batter will be lumpy. And nobody likes a lumpy crepe. For years and years I made my crepes in a small frying pan. I searched for a crepe maker like the one Ms. Buckner had in my 7th & 8th grade French class. Finally a few years ago I found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I love it! It really speeds up the process, which is really helpful when you are feeding a small army. A small army consumes a lot of crepes. And you can't just stop with one crepe, or two, or three... You get the picture. It doesn't matter how many we make, at the end of the day--they are all gone!


My mom manned the crepe maker with a little bit of "help" from Haven and Ryder


I know this looks like a dessert bar, but it's not like we have this every day! Here's what we have: raspberries, peaches, strawberries, cinnamon & sugar, powdered sugar, and whipped cream (no cool whip here, folks). Not pictured: nutella, scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon. We have other favorites as well. Use your imagination!



We all stuffed our faces! It was great.

12 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

I love crepes!! I still remember when the laurels spent the night at your house and you made them in the morning. They were delish. I forgot Eric had went to France on his mission. So did my oldest brother. I love you.

Hacking it up said...

That is so funny--We have the SAME tradition on conference weekend! I have that same crepe recipe, and that same fabulous crepe maker!!! I've decided I need to get another one because I can't keep up with everyone inhaling the crepes as fast as I can make them!
Our favorite sauce is sour cream with sugar mixed in...sounds weird, but it is SO GOOD with fruit!!!

You REALLY must come here for vacation! There is a place downtown called Flip Happy Crepes...it was on the food channel....it is SOO Austin...it's basically a silver Airstream trailer in a parking lot with tables and chairs set outside for you to sit....Seriously, the yummiest crepes you've ever had! If you don't get there before noon...you're waiting over a half hour, sometimes up to an hour for your order...but it's worth it!

Don't you think that's reason enough to come? :) That and Six Flags and Sea World, and oh, yeah....me!!! :) We have enough room for you to stay with us....the kids would have so much fun!....don't you need a vacation this summer?....Lance has all of June and July off for his sabbatical, so we are open!....hint...hint.... :)

Anonymous said...

I have so been wanting a crepes! I really was going to try them this past weekend so, glad I found your recipe! (instead I tried pineapple toast and the kids weren't impressed)
GReat to see a picture of your mom-how nice she could visit.

~Jenn (Jolley) Millett

Jenn E said...

Steph--We would LOVE to visit you guys! Just for you alone! But all that other stuff sounds fun as well! I hope you won't be sorry that you issued that invitation because we might just take you up on it. And remember, Vegas is a happenin' town!
That is so funny that you have the same tradition. And the same recipe and crepe maker. I had my mom bring hers so that we could make them twice as fast but she ended up doing all the crepe making while I got the other stuff ready.
I would love to try Flip Happy.

Natalie said...

I love those crepes more than life itself. What I wouldn't give for one right this second...

grandma kopp said...

Yum I wish that I had been there. I love crepes. Especially yours!
Maybe sometime when I come down you will make them again. I love all you guys. Take care.

Zachariah Parry said...

I love Eric's face in the last picture.

Tawnya said...

I remember making crepes with you in High School. (Sad to say that was almost 20 years ago!) I still use the same recipe too. My kids beg for them constantly so I mix a batch in the blender and store it in the fridge for a quick breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack or dessert!

Linda said...

Nice post Jenn!(you could have done without my picture though!) Maybe one day I'll take a good picture! It was a great weekend. I want to go and try Flip Happy!

Becky said...

How come I've never had one of your crepes?

Jenn E said...

Becky-That surprises me. We will have to remedy that!

Jessica said...

I was at the laurels party Seana mentioned and I loved those crepes. I have never liked any that I have tried since and though I've had the recipe for almost 10 years, I don't have a cool crepe maker and am too lazy to try it any other way.