Friday, May 30, 2008

Not All Aliens Are Bad

The Host: A Novel The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I was actually a little nervous about reading this book. I didn't want Stephenie Meyer to fall down after her success with the Twilight series. No need to worry on that front! I enjoyed this book on many different levels: suspense, romance, science fiction, and many more. I found it very interesting to look at us, as humans, through the eyes of a completely humane and honest other-worldly being. It almost made me ashamed at how barbaric and cruel we can sometimes be. But there is also the flip-side where we can be loving and accepting and truly kind.

To me the message is that we are complex beings who have the capacity to change and improve ourselves and also that it's impossible to feel true happiness unless we know what it is to feel sorrow.

As a side note: I think that Stephenie is a master at the "love triangle." It is pretty amazing how she can present two imperfect men (Jared and Ian or Edward and Jacob) and make them both appealing in their own way.


View all my reviews.

7 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

I still can't bring myself to start it. Mostly because with the Twilight books I barricaded myself in my room and neglected my child, my house, my husband, my calling, etc. I don't know if I can commit that right now.

Linda said...

I still haven't started my book! Just haven't had time to sit down and read! After reading your review maybe I'll find time to start reading it this weekend. I'm glad you commented on it...your post makes me want to start reading it now!

Brooke said...

Absolutely and completely agree. Well put sistah! I didn't even draw the comparison of the love triangles... so true. Reading something new of Stephenie Meyers just made me even MORE excited for Breaking Dawn!!! Yipeeeee!!!

Erin said...

I totally LOVED this book. I mean, it's no Twilight, but definitely worth a look. *SPOILER ALERT* I especially loved when Ian said, "I held you in my hand. You were beautiful." -sighs wistfully- Kindle just finished it, and he really enjoyed it. I haven't yet asked him if he loves Wanderer more than Alice Cullen, though. LOL!

Hacking it up said...

I'm so glad you loved it! I loved it too! I thought it was interesting to look at it in a Pre-existence sort of way, where Satan=the aliens, wanted to MAKE everyone be good all of the time, But the humans, needed their free agency; needed opposition...even though they didn't always use it properly. It opened my eyes a little to the fact that it would be a very un-fulfilling life indeed if we were robbed of our free agency...am I weird to look at it that way?

Stephenie is a very talented writer! I can't WAIT until August for "Breaking Dawn"!!!!

Jessica said...

I'm only about a fourth of the way through the book and I'm having a hard time staying interested. Sci-fi isn't really my cup o' tea. I'm going to finish it, though. Also, I'd like to correct you in that Edward IS perfect. And scrumptious.

Becky said...

I thought the book was good but not great. It was just a little too weird for my tastes. I prefer people that don't have tentacles.