Thursday, May 15, 2008

Let Them Eat Cake--I Mean Pie


As mentioned in the previous post, Eric's cake request for his birthday was Washington Pie. I'm not sure why it's called Pie, it is clearly made of cake, but why question yummyness? I know that I got this recipe from my mom and I think she got it from hers. Is that right, mom? Where is it from originally? Either way, this is how to make it:

Washington Pie

Bake a yellow cake according to the package directions in a greased and floured 9 X 13" pan.
Cool for 10-15 minutes.
Remove cake to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Cut the cake in half lengthwise.
Place the bottom portion of the cake back into the pan.

Prepare 2 small packages of COOKED vanilla pudding.
Place pan in a sink filled with several inches of cold water in order to cool.
Pour cooled pudding over the bottom layer of the cake.
Replace top layer (I usually cut it in half in order to do this).
Top with sweetened whipped cream.

Store in the refrigerator.

10 comments:

Natalie said...

That cake is some serious heaven in my mouth!

easleyfamily said...

YUM! Wish we were there to enjoy some...makes my mouth water! Happy bithday Eric!!

easleyfamily said...

I mean Happy Birthday...

Linda said...

It is the best ever amd I did get the recipe from grandma. It is for sure a family favorite! Hope you ate a piece for me!

Jenn E said...

Mom--I haven't yet, but I will go and do that right now!

Hacking it up said...

MMMmmmmm!! That looks GOOD!!! You are suh the chef!! When I grow up. I want to be just like you! :)

Wendy said...

That looks so good. I don't think we need the storing instructions because there wouldn't be any left.

Brooke said...

I REALLY need a dinner invitation. Like 7 of them.

Aivaz Family said...

That looks fantastic. I am with Brooke. Invite me over, k?

Bridget said...

That cake looks delish. Thanks for posting the recipe!