Sunday, May 11, 2008

Moms Rock!


Happy Mother's Day to all you mommys out there. I am constantly amazed at the incredible moms that I know. And it's not all about perfection, folks. I know that is what we can all shoot for, but it's sometimes a lot more comforting to find that most moms have bad days and make mistakes--just like I do. If you're a mom out there who doesn't "lose it" on occasion, my hat is off to you but you probably live in cartoon land or on a 60's sitcom. Being a mom is hard! I love my kids more than anything but that doesn't prevent me from messing up on occasion (please don't ask my children exactly how frequently!).

I would like to pay tribute to my very own mom. She is, in a word, the best! I can't imagine having any other mom. She is funny and kind and a blast to be around. But I think the thing I love most about my mom is that I know she loves me and would do anything for me. I have no doubt about that at all. And it is a fact that has helped me through some tough times. Thank for everything, mom! I love you a ton!

And if you know my mother, you also know what a super grandma she it. Seriously. Don't try to compete with my mom in that department. Her grandkids can't get enough of her. And it's not because she lavishes them with gifts (although they do get their fair share), it's because she spends time with them and shows an interest in their lives. She just has a way with those grandkids that is really awe-inspiring.

This is also the perfect time to express my appreciation for my mother-in-law. I can't relate with all the jokes and negativity regarding mothers-in-law. Eric's mom, Barbara, is a truly amazing woman. She has been kind and loving towards me since day one. She has never "meddled" as I hear some mothers-in-law do, but she has always been there to offer help and advice when we need her. She is one of those people who everyone knows because she has affected their lives in some positive way. I love her and appreciate the positive influence she is in my life.


There are so many other moms who inspire me: my grandma (see here for my latest tribute to grandma); my step-mom Diona, my sister Natalie (the funnest mom I know), Tina (who, whether I deserve it or not, often reassures me that I'm not the worst mother in the world), Melissa (if she has a flaw I don't know about it), ALL of my sisters-in-law, Monica (you think you are sneaky but nobody knows how to make a person's day like you do), and so many more! I am surrounded by women from whom I want to steal pieces of and remake myself. Thank you all for your encouragement and good examples.

I've already had breakfast in bed--thank you to my husband and girls (the breakfasts get more delicious the older my kids get)! I've received several thoughtful gifts. And I guess I will finish out the day doing whatever I want. Maybe. I'm pretty sure mothers never get an entire day off. Hope you all have a good one!

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Happy Mother's Day! That was an awesome tribute to some wonderful mothers. We do have the best mom. She is amazing. I know motherhood can be very hard at times but you seriously are the best mom. I love you.

Linda said...

Thank you Jenn for the nice words you wrote! They mean a lot to me. And you do have an amazing mother-in-law, sisters, sister-in-laws and many wonderful friends.
I love my children and grandchildren so very much! It was fun to spend the weekend and part of Mother's Day with you and your family. We had a fun time! You are a wonderful mother and your children are so lucky to have you for their mother. I love you!
Love,

Mom

Sarah Goodsell said...

That was so sweet! You do have an awesome mom and sister!

Brooke said...

AWESOME mommy post!!! I completely agree, amen, ditto, uh huh! You guys have such a fun family, and you are all great mom's!! P.S. Girls night out at All fired up on Thursday May 22nd. Be there or I'll come to your house and drag you kicking and screaming. Bring a treat to share!! I know where you live... /end threat.

Jana said...

I am so gald you have had a good Mothers Day, this was the best one I have had since becoming a mother myself...

Hacking it up said...

Looks like you had a good mother's day! Your mom is such fun! I have great memories of her and ol' Prolitho! :)

Jessica said...

You are so cute. I remember admiring you when I was in YW and seeing how you were with your kids. You are a great mom.