Monday, June 9, 2008

Remodeling Fun


I know it will be worth it when it's finished. But for now I am struggling with the fact that I am surrounded by mess after mess, and dust covering every surface in my house. We (and by "we" I mean mostly Eric) are turning our office into a bedroom. Let me just take this opportunity to tell you that one of the biggest mistakes we made when buying this home (12 years ago) was paying extra for the door-less den that opens onto our entryway. It is one thing to walk through a model home and love that open pristine looking den. It is quite another to actually live in the room and realize that you don't live in the paperless and clutter-free model home world.

We have combined this renovation with new flooring in the front part of our house as well as the bedrooms. As a result we (here "we" equals Eric and MRK--thanks MRK!), had to remove a big chunk of tile and the result is dust. Dust is everywhere! I know we will recover from this eventually but it is possible that I might need some professional help.

I can't count how many trips we've made to Home Depot and Lowes. We've also changed our mind about flooring several times. Our lives have been thrown into disarray and I can't really remember the last time I cooked a decent meal (despite the fact that nothing is being renovated in the kitchen). This is probably not the best time to have all the kids at home and looking for all the excitement a summer can provide. But at least they have stopped telling me they are bored (I have an endless amount of suggestions for them--none of them very pleasant). Eric has been working is butt off and it is completely feasible that all (or enough to render our house livable) the work will be completed by this coming weekend. It will be so nice to actually WANT to be at home again instead of anywhere but.

Stay tuned for the end result.



The general mess.



The girls wrote on the bare floor preserving their current music tastes. (Savannah also hung up a sign in-between the drywall of our new wall that said, "Why did you tear down this wall?")



Our new wall (pre-mud, texturing and paint) and Sage's new door.

12 comments:

Diane said...

It will look fabulous when completed I'm sure. I hate messes and now that my kids are home this summer, that's all we have..messes! (and we aren't remodeling...yikes)

I love the looks of the new floor going down.

easleyfamily said...

That will look great! It will be worth the chaos when you've got the extra bedroom!

Linda said...

I wish I was there to help you jenn! It will be worth it when it's finished. I'm glad MRK was able to help Eric. They are both great guys! Can't wait to see the finished product! Hang in there.(you want a xanax?) j/k!

I love you

CElison said...

Sounds like fun out there! And to think we're going to be there!See ya tomorrow!

Natalie said...

It is going to look so nice when it's done. I am very excited to see it. I will help you rid of the dust.

grandma kopp said...

My goodness things will look so different. I wish I was there to help you clean. I love to clean. It will be so nice for you to be able to put Ryder in his own bed. The cute little wart.
Just hang in there. It will be worth all the mess.
love you!

Hacking it up said...

Hooray for you!!! I love a good remodel project!! I wish I could be there to help! It's a pain in the butt in the middle of it, but well worth the bother....can't wait to see the final pics!!
If you just go shopping whenever this happens, ...it encourages your hubby to get it done faster! :)

Wendy said...

Hang in there! It will all be worth the mess someday :)

Britain said...

That is going to be so nice. I bet Sage is really excited.

jenifer Pullman said...

Wayne was very interested in your project and asked me about a hundred questions. I was like; "This is all the info I have, honey." I have a tip for you if things get loud. Earplugs. Really takes the edge off. (Also, I would probably keep a Xanax from your mom handy, and I'm not just kidding)

Bridget said...

We had to wall in our den and add a closet to the room when Will was born. I feel your pain and also your relief when it is all done!

Becky said...

Zach decided to paint our kitchen over Memorial weekend when we had guests here. I feel your pain. And tell Grandma Elaine that if she really likes to clean she can come to my house anytime!