Thursday, June 19, 2008

Little Man in a Big Bed


The time finally came for Ryder to move into a big boy bed. It has actually gone fairly well. A little better than I expected. He has needed a little help getting to sleep at night--except last night when Sage put a deliriously tired and screaming Ryder into bed. It took about one minute for him to stop crying but I was sure I would find him sleeping on the floor or somewhere equally inappropriate (on top of the toy box?). I was surprised to open the door and find him conked out on the bed. Good boy!

We do have a couple of problems, however. Nap time has not been going so well. He would typically lie down in his crib at nap time and fall asleep without any trouble. But the temptation of being in a bedroom filled with fun stuff to play with is overriding any sleepiness. The second (and more easily remedied) problem is that Ryder flips and flops while he sleeps. A lot! And so far he has flipped and flopped himself off the bed many times. I know! I just need to go and get one of those side rails. I intend to do that--today. But the bed is not high off the floor and we have placed pillows around to cushion the fall. Usually he doesn't even wake up. Of course I now wake up several times every night in order to check on him. Here is what I found last night:


He looks fairly comfortable, no?

Ryder and Haven are now sharing a bedroom. And their room is next on the remodeling list. Any suggestions about how to decorate a bedroom for a girl who loves princesses and dress-up and a boy who loves cars and trains? (Haven does like trains and Ryder often sports a purse--so there is a little cross-over.) And they both love books. I have to pick out some paint in the next day or two and would love to hear any opinions or suggestions.


Ahhhh....

17 comments:

Natalie said...

OHHHHHHHHH!! He is so cute! I can't believe he is is a big boy bed. What a sweetheart. That picture of him under the bed is awesome. I love it. I will be thinking of ideas for the decorating. Cute cute!

Linda said...

He is getting so big! I love the pictures. I love the picture under the bed! And I love his Pj's!

Bridget said...

I can't think of many neutral decorating ideas. Maybe animals? Or alphabets? Hmmm.

He is absolutely adorable. Love him sleeping so soundly on his floor. You have to be wide awake to check on him and he sleeps through it all. Typical! :)

Eliza said...

Those pictures are stank cute. What about a yellow? You can add cars and princess stuff to yellow.

Chris and Karen said...

Love how he sleeps under the bed. I think you should paint the room yellow. this way you can do trains on one side of the room and dress up on the other and it look normalish. just my 2 cents

Aivaz Family said...

This gives me a little bit of hope. Katelyn's big girl bed is set up and ready, but we haven't put her in yet as I have been at girls camp and house sitting at my moms. Looks like he adjusted fairly well. My daughter thinks hers is for jumping. He is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Oh, he's soooo cute. Brings back lots of good memories for me. Good luck with the decorating. I am not any help with that. My entire house is white. Oye! Love, Lori

Mel said...

I love it! Don't worry- Dallin spent most of his first two months of having a big boy bed on the floor. I love the picture where he is under his bed. so funny!

Wendy said...

so sweet. Can you do half the room trains and transition into princesses? Or, have princesses riding in a train?? Whatever you decide I want to see pictures!

Brooke said...

Just give one of them to me. Problem solved. Sheesh, that was easy.

Seven Leavitt's said...

Nothing is sweeter than sleeping babies! Jordan is right there with Ryder, I have been wondering when to make the switch. This gives me hope!

Greens, yellows, even some blues can go either way for decorating. My little bro and sis shared a room and it was red, white and blue done with denin and gingham checks. Whatever you decide, don't forget to post and share!

grandma kopp said...

He is so darn cute I could eat him up. Bless his little tiny heart. I bet he loves his big bed. I can hardly wait to see all of you down that way. Hurry up and get here.
I love all of you so much.

Jaime Stephens said...

He is so cute I love hearing this story because I can relate.... I laughed at the one under his bed we have found Savannah there more than once... I am jealous though that it is going fairly well.. My child is crazy and its a roller coaster.. How old is he? Well congrats to him on the big boy bed. I don't have any suggestions on the room sorry

Britain said...

I think Ryder looks so cute. Even under a bed. As far as room decor, you could pull off some kind of children's storybook theme room. Just an idea

Matt said...

Oh man that is so funny! What a cute kid! I sure miss him. As far as the decorating... In the middle of the room you have pumpkin carriages carrying princess' colliding with trains and hot-rods, and the big mess just spreads out onto their individual sides of the room. Yeah.

Becky said...

Who is Matt? I like him and his suggestion. We went in after Zach got a big boy bed and couldn't find him anywhere. Finally we discovered him way back in the corner under the dark bed still asleep.

Hacking it up said...

Oh my heck! He is so cute!!! I just want to squeeze him and kiss those little cheeks!! I love the pic of him under the bed! Precious!!