Monday, August 4, 2008

Breaking the Dawn

Breaking Dawn (Twilight Series, Book 4) Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I would probably give this 4 1/2 stars, if I had the choice, due to the fact that I was bugged by a few inconsistencies and because I think that it does not fall into the "young adult" category as well as the first three did.

I think what I loved most about this book (aside from the general excitement of FINALLY being able to read something I've looked forward to) is that I was consistently surprised. I am sure I had some preconceived notions about what would happen and when, but I was way off on the "when" of things. And very often on the "what." Many events in the book took a lot of getting used to. But in the end, I was satisfied and even very happy with the ending.

Bella has completely evolved for me. I liked her in Twilight but became increasingly annoyed with her in New Moon and even angry with her in Eclipse. But she finally became a person I would like to know and I am ready to admit that she deserves Edward.

Stephenie Meyer is becoming quite the accomplished writer, I think. I am very impressed with her creativity and her ability to write compelling and engrossing stories. As I stated before, I think Breaking Dawn crossed the line from young adult into more adult story lines (and I think my teenagers agree), but I love almost any book that can make my children not want to do anything but read. Well done, Stephenie.
View all my reviews.

11 comments:

Staci Hill said...

I think yours is the first positive review I've heard. Funny to think that we were all pretty much doing the same thing this weekend, huh? I wonder if anyone cooked dinner or if hubbies took over and got the kids out of the house...

Bridget said...

I just have had a white background on your blog for days, Jenn. I can't see any of your writing. Don't know if anyone else is having that problem...just wanted to let you know.

CElison said...

Yah, she's right. WHat's up with that?

Brooke said...

Totally agree with your review! I LOVED this book.

Natalie said...

I loved this book! Great review!

Aivaz Family said...

I finally finished so now I can comment. I totally agree. I appreciated the part about Bella. She bugged me soooo much in New Moon and a little in Eclipse, so it was nice to see her evolve into someone likeable. I would like to add that I HATED Jacob before. Loathed. Now I find him quite endearing, so I am glad she did that for me. That is all. I love your face.

Linda said...

I can't wait to finish the book! Hopefully by the weekend. With working, it's just to hard to read to late. Oh well. So far I really like it!

Katrina said...

I had mixed feelings about this book as well. But in the end, looking back on it now, I do like it. There are a few things that I might have liked to see go a little differently, but until I write my own book I'll just have to be happy with what other people write. I would probably give it about a 4 out of 5. There were things that I had hoped for, but wasn't sure would happen, and I was happy to see that they did. I also agree that this book was a little more adult than young adult.

jack+alli said...

hi jennifer! this is allison {strebeck}. it's so fun *blogging* into you...i can't believe how much your children have grown! are you guys in the same house/ward? i miss that area!!!

vinyl dreams said...

Hi Jennifer! Now I found you, too - along with Allison! I can't believe how big your kids are - and so beautiful as well. I also loved this book. I was nervous to see what would happen, but ended up being very pleased with the outcome.

Britain said...

I did not love it, but I did like it. I thought it was a real page turner, and it did give the story closure for me. I agree with you that Bella was more likeable in this book than in that last two. I just thought that there were some bizarre parts that kept me wondering "what in the world is she going to do with that?" Maybe I dwelt on those too much instead of just enjoying the story. I give it a 3.5/5. On goodreads it will show up as a 4.