Friday, August 29, 2008

A Good Old-Fashioned Murder Mystery

Murder of Roger Ackroyd Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I can't now remember what made me want to read this book except that I know it was mentioned in another book. But I do like a good Agatha Christie now and again. This is probably my favorite, so far. I do like Poirot (I've seen most of the television series), but I have always avoided reading Christie's books with him as the main character. Why? I don't know. He was good fun in this one and "knew everything."

This was a good, quick, and surprising read. You suspect everyone at some point. I even suspected the actual murderer periodically during the book but always managed to become convinced that it was this or that other person. And during the last few pages before the final unveiling when I was finally cluing in to who it must be, I was still shocked.

Have you ever read a book where "clue" is spelled "clew?" I cannot believe I have never encountered this.


View all my reviews.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

I've wanted to read Agatha Christie's books for quite sometime myself. I'll have to check it out. I too enjoy the television series. Looks like I'm not the only one who keeps late hours. :)

Bateman Family said...

I don't know if I can be your friend? I'm not an avid reader. Maybe I could come to your library and check something out?

Thanks for your comment on my blog. This blogging world amazes me everyday on how we're all connected.

Are you a rep for the Passion & Fruit Co? I've never heard of them before. But then I don't get out much. Ha! Ha!

Are we still doing dinner group?

Allyson

Zachariah Parry said...

It was Odd Thomas. Odd Thomas is narrating and he says that his fat friend, whose name I can't remember, suggests that he keep the reading light, and that he be an inconsistent narrator. Then he references the Murder of Roger Ackroyd, but he gives away the ending, which made me not want to read the book.