Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'm Going to Start Crying


Not my floor--we've had similar spills on floors and counter tops!

Please explain Costco's new milk jugs to me. I want to be open-minded. I want to adapt to new things. What I don't want, however, is milk spilled all over. I love buying my milk at Costco. I have been known to go to Costco for milk alone (whether or not I leave with only milk is another story). And we do go through milk at our house. I typically buy four gallons of skim milk per week and two gallons of whole milk (for Haven and Ryder--this will often last a little longer than one week).

Let me just go back and say that a few months ago I was more than a little irritated with the new little cap that had to be peeled off the milk jugs. They never came off easily and I usually ended up stabbing through it to get to the milk. So when I saw the new jugs I thought, "perhaps they won't have that annoying little tab." Wrong! Not only are the new jugs awkward, but they still have a tab! Granted, this tab is easier to remove, but how many layers of protection do I need to go through before I can pour some milk?


If you know this answer to this puzzle, please let me know. Are they friendlier on the environment (I am glad that they no longer have to package them in cardboard)? Do they keep the milk fresher longer? Does it stay colder? Do they want to aggravate me on purpose? I love you, Costco! We spend bucket loads of money at your store! I just need to know that this added annoyance has a higher purpose. And if not, change back!

In order to be fair, here is what Costco has to say (along with my comments):

Improved Features:
  • New Tilt & Pour Jugs - Yes, they are new!
  • Easy to pour - just tilt without lifting jug off counter - NOT easy
  • Stays fresh longer - inner foil seal locks in freshness and taste - possible, but no notable difference
  • Easy to store - new shape fits better in your refrigerator - similar enough not to make a big difference
  • Reduces waste - Recyclable jug eliminates corrugated shipper boxes - I agree
I don't mean to complain, but when my kids are no longer the only ones spilling milk, something has to change.

10 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow! Is that your kitchen floor? It's beautiful!! Oh, sorry... STUPID MILK!! I really like you, and your floor, and your milk.

Linda said...

Oh man Jennifer!d I'm so sorry it spilled all over your new floor! I think the new container looks silly! Come on Costco!

Jenifer Pullman said...

Hey! We drink four gallons of milk every week, also. Amelia had a little girlfriend over for the weekend, and I am thinking they don't get much milk at their house. She probably drank a gallon all by herself in the 48 hours that she was here. I've never seen anything like it!

Staci Hill said...

My Costco must be a bit behind. I just bought our 4 gals, and they're all still in the corrugated boxes...

Aivaz Family said...

Sams Club does it too. Bugs the heck out of me. Don't buy milk there simply because of that. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

Linda said...

I'm glad you told me you didn't spill milk on your new floors! I went sick inside when I saw the picture.

Becky said...

The thing I hate about them is that you can't pick it up with one hand anymore. You have to use both. Who has both hands free? Ever? Who cares about the environment?

Jessica said...

That is lame, but just think- some of us don't live within 100 miles of a Costco and would endure the annoying milk jugs if it meant having a Costco to wander through wishfully.

grandma kopp said...

Did you put wood over your tile? That is what it looks like. I am sorry you can't handle the milk cartons. Just be patience and it will get better.
love you

Missy said...

Beside the point, I love love love your hardwood floors!!!!