Thursday, August 7, 2008

Meet Some New Friends

Our Mutual Friend (Modern Library Classics) Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Dickens certainly knows how to weave a story! Our Mutual Friend revolves around the death of John Harmon. Harmon, whose estranged father willed him the Harmon estate on the condition that he marry Bella Wilfer--a woman wholly unknown to him, is murdered at sea on his return home to claim his fortune. With this as the basis of the story, we are then introduced to a spattering of characters either directly or indirectly involved in the Harmon matter. It is superbly written, inducing laughter, tears, and horror. It is filled with some of the most noble characters as well as the most devious.

Some of my favorite characters are: Mr. and Mrs. Boffin, Jenny Wren, Bella Wilfer, and, ranking among the creepiest and most certifiably insane characters in literature: Bradley Headstone.

I listened to the audio version of this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Expertly read by narrator Robert Whitfield, it was well worth the 30 hours and 19 minutes. As a side note, I have long been a fan of the mini-series which I first saw years ago on PBS's Masterpiece Theatre (my advice is to watch it with the subtitles on so you don't miss anything).

I am by no means a scholar when it comes to Dickens (or anything else, for that matter), but I do so appreciate his story-telling ability and the originality and quirkiness of his characters.

View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Hacking it up said...

HELLO!!! I am back. And WAY behind on my blogging...which I hate because I'm very overwhelmed...I hate missing ANY of your posts, so now I must catch up!!!

I LOVED Breaking Dawn!! I agree with everything you said...This is the first book that I really liked Bella in!! SO glad she finally got her crap together! :)

I can't wait to start "Our Mutual friend"! Thanks!

Linda said...

I'll have to read or "listen" to Our Mutual Friends. I always love your reviews. Love ya!