Sunday, August 10, 2008

Memoirs

Memoirs of a Geisha Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
What a beautiful yet haunting book! I am always impressed when a man can write such an authentic female voice (and vice versa). And the images created in this book are so vivid that I found myself dreaming about geishas, kimonos, tea houses and Kyoto.

It was strange to read a book about a lifestyle that, in general, I find degrading and almost a form of slavery, yet realize I was yearning for Sayuri's success as a geisha. But really it is a book about survival. We are all dealt a unique hand of cards in this life and we can either let things happen to us or take what control we can--shape our own destiny.




View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

please keep these book "reviews" coming. I love new suggestions.
Diane

Linda said...

Can't wait to read this book! Have been wanting to forever. I'll get it this weekend cause you're coming to Utah!