Monday, August 25, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Here I am on the first day of first grade with my best friend Jodi Fait. Love the knee highs.

It's no secret that I always look forward to this time of year. There are many reasons: fall is coming, I can start burning pumpkin scented candles, my children's birthdays are all right around the corner, a firmer schedule to follow, my job as "cruise director" coming to an end for 9 months, the weather cooling off (I don't hold my breath for this one), and--oh yeah--my kids are in school. There are negatives as well: no more sleeping in, spending the majority of my days in the car, asking about and helping with homework, and trying to find the time to get everything done. The positives outweigh the negatives.

This year is a little different because Savannah is now in high school. High school. I remember when I was a teenager hearing adults say that someday I would wish I could go back to high school. Most likely this was said as I was lamenting the fact that high school was where I spent my days. Now that I am an adult I can tell you that I wouldn't go back to high school for a million dollars. There are things I regret and things I would love to do over and times that I remember fondly. But to go back and relive the day to day highs and lows would not be worth it. That said, there is something to the high school experience. I think, more than any other time in our lives, high school is when there is a higher concentration of "firsts" that you can look back on fondly (or maybe not).

One thing I always wish for my kids when it comes to starting a new school year is that they will be nice. I actually wish this for them all the time but for some reason I feel a twinge when I let them go at the first of the school year just hoping that they will be kind and hopefully find some kindness in return. I think that they are very good and nice people in general; I guess I just hope that any shyness or uneasiness won't prevent them from treating others well. I have actually always been impressed with the way my big girls try to avoid the drama that sometimes goes hand in hand with being a teenage girl. They have often been mediators when their friends have troubles (not always the best spot to be in either). I know that they are not perfect, but I have been proud of how they have handled themselves so far and wish that I had been more like them when I was young. Was I nice in junior high and high school? I think I was. I don't think I was mean. I was never never miss popularity but I had a lot of really great friends. My memory is incomplete and I just hope that I was never cruel to anyone. I realize I should take this to heart more in my daily life, but I just think that the least we can do in our dealings with others is just to be nice.

I have delayed this post for a day in hopes that I could get a picture of Savannah before school.. She has unfortunately inherited my dislike for pictures of myself. So until I can pin her down, I will include a picture of what she looked like after school and--what the hay--one of Sage too.


Sage on the first day of 8th grade.

Savannah after school.

Sage after school.

10 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

I am so glad that you are glad you're kids are back in school. I realize my daughter is only 2, but I can't wait. Speaking of not being able to wait for things, I can't wait for Disneyland!! It's going to be sooo fun!! Love you.

Chris and Karen said...

I agree with you on wanting to go back to HS. There is not enough money to pay me to go back. Hopefully the girls had great first days.

Natalie said...

Great post! I have never wanted to go back to high school either. I wasn't too fond of it. I think my motto in high school was "save the drama for your mama." I love the pictures of the girls. Why are they growing up? Seriously, make it stop!!

p.s. I want to steal the shirt Sage is wearing. Wear did she get it? Do they make it in big girl sizes?

p.s.s Love you tons

Linda said...

I love the picture of you and Jodi! So cute.
I don't want my "Angel Babies" to grow up! They are just growing up to fast. And as for High School....no way would I want to go back. Been there...done that!

Love ya!

Sarah Goodsell said...

OH My gosh I'm old. I still have pics of Sage and Savannah and they couldn't be older than 5 it's so crazy that they are so grown up. I'm gonna agree with you on the whole not going back to high school I was not a fan! Glad you'll have the house a little less wild during the day!

Diane said...

I love that you posted the after school shots! Very funny. Although I look back on my high school days fondly...I loved it....I too would never want to go back. The feeling of just trying to fit into yourself and make it through is a tough time. Yikes...I don't want to watch my boys go through it.
I like how you wish for your kids to be nice. I feel the same way.

Jessica said...

I wish I could take a nap at 3 in the afternoon. Or at any time during the day really.

Britain said...

I love your little school girl picture. Too sweet. As a funny side note, Nate sings "Its the most wonderful time of the day" when the kids are getting into bed. He's a stinker.

Jana said...

This is my first year with a child in all day school! I completly agree with you on hoping she is kind. I am asking myself, have I taught her enough, what will she do if..., and the questions continue.

I would never want to go back to High School. PHS was great and all, but you described it well when you said "the daily highs and lows" That I can forever do without!

Good Luck Sage adn Savannah

easleyfamily said...

They are such great girls! I hope my girls turn out just like them.