Monday, August 11, 2008

Things I Remember...

...about Grandpa.

- Singing. Always singing. Mostly songs he learned in the navy (Jimmy Crack Corn, Froggy Went a Courtin', Hey Good Lookin', etc.).

- "Who's eating my ice cream?"

- "Hi grandpa. What's up?" "The rent."

- Listening to his Tex Ritter music on the 8-track.

- Roast beef and potatoes. With salt and pepper.

- "Did you see how much gas is at that station? Oh, and look at that one."

- "You're not going to eat a salad, are you? This is a steakhouse!"

- Whistling

- "Hi grandpa. What are you doing?" "Sitting here talking to you."

- Pie.

- "Love ya much."

- Playing the harmonica.

- "Poiple." (Purple)

- False teeth.

- "Root Beer freeze." (root is pronounced "rut")

- Pontiacs and Cadillacs.

- "It's nutritious, it's delicious, and right down good!"

- "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice scream."

- Anniversary dinner at Sils. (First time I ever tasted Clam Chowder.)

- "You're not going to buy that foreign made car, are you?"

- Eggs Benedict and Egg Nog at Christmastime.

- "Love ya, kiddo."


Love you too, grandpa! We miss you.

8 comments:

Linda said...

Jenn, what a nice post about "Grandpa" Thank you so much. I miss him too. I can't believe it's been 3 years since he's been gone.

Love you

Brooke said...

What a nice post Jenn! And what fun memories... Sounds like you were a lucky granddaughter.

Natalie said...

Thank you for the memories! I miss him so much. Great post.

Aivaz Family said...

That was fun to read. Made me miss both my Grandpas alot. You are great.

grandma kopp said...

Jennifer you are so thoughtful. I love him so very much and miss him more everyday. Oh I do love him dearly. I can just hear him saying just what you wrote.
Linda was so thoughtful also. She gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers. He would have done just what she did.
I love all of you. Sure do wish that I would hear from you more often.
Love, Grandma

Sarah Goodsell said...

That was so sweet. I didn't know he passed away, that makes me so sad. I know it was a few years ago but I'm still sad.

Wendy said...

what a cute grandpa. I'm sure you do miss him a lot.

Hacking it up said...

What a great post! Such a cute man!
I remember you always quoting him with the "What's up?...the rent"
It's so great to have these memories to hold on to!