Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Great Series

Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, Book 1) Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I've read several mediocre books lately, and that fact left me desirous to read something I already know is good. I love the Belgariad series and this book begins it. It is such a great story full of interesting characters: both noble yet fallible. While I read it this time I kept thinking that I must have my daughters read it.

This fantasy series contains most of the typical elements: an unlikely hero, a dangerous quest, sorcery or magic, an evil adversary, a magical object sought after by many, etc. But the story itself does not feel formulaic. Where the elements may be familiar, the details are original and interesting.

I'm excited to continue on with this series once again. Even now I find myself anxious to return to Garion and Belgarath and Polgara--even though I've walked this path with them twice before.

View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Hacking it up said...

Sounds like a good series!! I think my Madi would love this!!

Have you read "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins? I just finished it and I LOVED it! It's a very good idea for a series...I can't wait until the next one comes out!