Thursday, October 30, 2008

More Amelia

Crocodile on the Sandbank: An Amelia Peabody Mystery (Book 1) Crocodile on the Sandbank: An Amelia Peabody Mystery by Elizabeth Peters


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I first read this in July 2001. I love this series! This is the first book. It was a delight to once again experience Amelia Peabody in her debut. To see her fall in love with Egypt, pyramids, tombs, and...umm...other things. I went the audio book route this time and it was very enjoyable. I was occasionally irritated with the voice used for Emerson (she made him sound a bit too old), but overall it was very well done.

Amelia may not be for everyone, but I just love her. I wish we could somehow be friends. I have a feeling she could identify anything wrong with my life and set me on the road to fixing it. I love her sense of humor and the way she looks at life. She is a strong and confident woman who is not afraid to blatantly ignore the conventions of the time or tweak them to serve her purposes. She is far from perfect, but is more critical of herself than anyone else (well, almost).

This particular book may have a few cliche-ish moments (oddly enough there are times when I'm reminded of old Scooby-Doo episodes), but it really is the characters that carry the story. I have a feeling that if I ever make it to Egypt I will spend half my time looking for Amelia and company.


View all my reviews.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I really enjoyed this book. I want to read the rest in the series.

Lydia said...

I can't wait to check out this book!

Britain said...

I also really liked this book, and series so far. I have a goal to get you books three and four back this week. Sorry it has taken so long. I get so sidetracked easily.