Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Want my PBS


While I write these words, my four children are doing the following: Savannah - school; Sage - school; Haven - eating breakfast before getting ready for school; Ryder - outside in our garage in the car. Now, before you panic--it is a nice cool morning and he isn't locked inside or forgotten about or anything like that. He is busy with a tantrum that has now been going on for nearly 30 minutes. The tantrum is a direct result of Ryder's current obsession: Word World. If you are not familiar with the PBS show Word World, you should be. Ryder loves Word World. He wants to watch it all the time and his eyes light up its mention.

I typically reserve watching the dvd player in the car for those longer road trips, but today when I went out to drive Sage to school, she had already put in one of Ryder's Word World dvds. By the time we returned home, he wasn't ready for it to be over. The result was the aforementioned tantrum. He initially positioned himself at the door to the garage and proceeded to cry and bang his head against the door. He followed that up with opening the door to the garage and moving the tantrum to the inside of the car (Haven had left her door open earlier). He doesn't understand that we will be back in the car in a short fifteen minutes to take Haven to school and he can finish his show then.

But he's no dummy! Word World is a cool and creative show and I approve of it (even though--due to Ryder's obsession--I have its theme song running through my head on an almost continual basis).

Why Word World Rocks:

- each character/animal/object is made from the letters of the word they are (see above picture)

- they talk about letters and words in a fun way

- in every episode they "spell a word" or two or three

- there are fun songs that the kids love

- Ryder, who just turned two, can identify and say many letters (even in the non Word World world) including: B, C, D, E, F, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, W, and Y


So, while I could do without the tantrums, I am glad he enjoys a show that is educational.

14 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

I am so glad my kid isn't the only one to throw long tantrums. Hers usually involve wanting to be stark naked and/or wanting candy for every meal of the day. I miss you!!

Jessica said...

I was about to write exactly what Seana wrote until I saw that she wrote it. Sometimes I really think my kids are the only ones who throw bad tantrums. Maybe mine just do it more often (daily).

Brooke said...

I did that exact thing this morning over not wanting to get up. Ry draws the line at me banging my head againsed the door, and usually threatens to call the psych center if I don't stop. Give the kid a break, sometimes you just NEED word world. Or sleep.

Brooke said...

Oh, P.S.

They have CUTE Word World stuff at Target, if you didn't already notice. Christmas maybe?

Chris and Karen said...

I love this show and so do my 3. Annmarie Laughs so hard sometimes.

Lydia said...

Wow, he already knows that many letters! That's impressive.

Tantrums are not fun, and I do the same thing. I usually say, "Good luck with that..." and walk away. My kids caught on pretty quick that they better get up off the floor or they'd have to walk home from Wal-mart.

Jaime Stephens said...

hmmm sounds like a good show I will have to look for that one... Savannahs current obsession is dressing up and she won't get dressed in 'normal clothes' these kids are hillarious.. Thanks for your fruit snack comment dang it's what I need to hear

Becky said...

It needs to have a different name than word world because I can't say that without my tongue getting sprained. Oh, and when I try to go to Angela's blog from yours it send me to some Google financial page??

Jana said...

We love word world too! And now I am singing the theme song too...

Wendy said...

Poor little guy. I hope he got to finish it up on the next car trip. Sometimes it's so hard not to just start laughing at them, isn't it? Is he in to Super Why yet? That's a good one too.

Linda said...

Oh...Ryder is so cute! Can't wait to see for myself his obsession with Word World!

Sarah Goodsell said...

Jaxson's the same way but with Handy Manny. He can't even talk english but all he wants to watch is a show with spanish great! I wish he would watch word world maybe he'd learn something!

Natalie said...

HAHA! Ryder sure loves his word world. I love it. He's the best.

Hacking it up said...

I'll have to check that out! Wyatt likes "Super Y"...time to change things up..