Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fun Amidst Shoe Mishaps - Disneyland Day 2

On day 2 of our Disneyland trip we headed straight for California Adventure. We LOVE California Adventure. With it's exciting rides and wide open spaces it is so refreshing after the crowds in Disneyland! And there is plenty for the little people to do as well.


It was fun to see all the Halloween decorations. The "theme" at California Adventure seemed to be Candy Corn. We just had to take Ryder's picture next to the "O" since it is his favorite letter. If he weren't so adorable he would have driven us crazy pointing out letters wherever we went.


Bug's Land was almost our first stop. Of course they love the Heimlich ride, the ladybug ride and Flick's Fliers. Ryder was more than a little distressed to find that he didn't meet the height requirement for the bumper cars.


I think the show they put on in Bug's Land is called "It's Tough to be a Bug." It's a cute show and the kids really liked it. Ryder was very impressed with the floor lighting in the waiting area. Haven liked the show except for the part where giant black widow spiders drop from the ceiling.

We finally got our mouths around our favorite ice cream on the California Adventure pier. Afterwards we headed for California Screamin'. Sage didn't feel like riding so Eric and I went together while Sage watched the two little people. This is where Shoe Mishap #1 comes in. Sage held Ryder up to watch us take off and his foot wedged between two bars. As Sage pulled him out, his shoe came off and fell into the lake. A nice lady nearby called for help and the shoe was finally rescued from drowning. As I was not about to put a lake infested shoe back on Ryder, the great shoe search began. If you have a little girl who needs a pair of shoes at Disneyland, you can pretty much choose your color, size and style. If you have a boy under shoe size 7, you have one choice. I bought Ryder some Cars flip flops that he flat out refused to wear. This necessitated a trip to Target.


The fun did continue. Even with a shoeless Ryder. Haven had a great time on the carousel and the jellyfish jumpers. We also went on the new Toy Story ride which was very fun! Even though the line was too long.


Sage and Eric braved Grizzly Rapids. I was not eager to get drenched, and so I sat that one out. Haven was not at all interested in going down a waterfall.

We had planned to go back to the hotel for a nap in the afternoon in preparation for a late night at Disneyland. This proved to be a good idea in lieu of our shoe problem. While we finished up our naps we finally hooked back up with Savannah. Her friends were heading home the next morning so she played with us for the remainder of the trip. I woke from my nap to see Savannah nursing her very sore and blistering feet. What did she need? A different pair of shoes. I was going to Target anyway, so Shoe Mishap #2 was pretty easily taken care of.

We headed back to the park for some more fun.


The kids really love the teacups. I know that Ryder doesn't look like he is having a good time, but he is just distressed because our teacup isn't blue. He actually lamented that fact through almost the entire ride. He basically just repeated, "blue, blue, blue," and pointed at the mean people in the blue teacups the whole time.

I was a little nervous to take Haven into the Haunted Mansion because she doesn't like spooky things. But because it was decorated as The Nightmare Before Christmas, I convinced her that it was more funny rather than spooky. She loved it! It was her favorite ride of the day. Whew! The sad part about that ride is that some cruel and/or lazy person dropped their gum on the floor just inside the Haunted Mansion. And I stepped in it. (If you know me, you know that throwing gum on the ground is one of my biggest pet peeves--so it just figures that I would step in it.) I sometimes had to literally pry my foot up from the ground. I was not happy about that. And this is what I call Shoe Mishap #3. But Shoe Mishap #3 was more than just an annoyance. After exiting the Haunted Mansion, we headed down the sidewalk and I totally fell! My left and and my right knee both slammed into the pavement. It was painful and very embarrassing. I have pretty week ankles and have fallen more than once, but this was not one of my more graceful falls. As I analyzed how this had happened I realized that my right shoe, the one covered in gum, had refused to move and caused me to fall all over the place. I'm still sporting some nice bruises. At this point we were ready to head back to the hotel for the night.

Other tidbits:

- Sage and I tried to play a little joke on Savannah while on Big Thunder Mountain that totally backfired. Why, you ask? Because Savannah is very funny.

- We saw Howie Mandel. Twice. Savannah even sat in the seat he had just vacated on California Screamin'.

- Haven went on Soaring over California for the first time and loved it.

- Did I mention the yummy ice cream on the California Adventure pier?

- We also took the kids to the Playhouse Disney live show--which they both loved. It was very cute and worth the time.

- There is a Target just a few blocks away from Disneyland with an adequate shoe selection.

- We managed to catch the fireworks show. We weren't in a spot where you could hear the music or anything, but we could see them quite well.

- We all went on Mark Twain's steamboat for the first time ever. Savannah and Sage thought they were being punished for something.

- As fun as I think Splash Mountain is, I'm not sure anything could induce me to ride it again after being completely drenched last time I went. And by completely drenched I mean that I felt like I'd taken a bath with my clothes on.

- We rode the Disneyland Train again today and Ryder was thrilled and "choo chooed" the whole time.

11 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

Love it. Every minute of it. I am so surprised that Howie Mandel would even go to such a germ infested place. You are great fun.

Jenifer Pullman said...

Wow. So spontaneous. A trip like this would never happen for me. First of all, my husband doesn't like Disneyland. Second of all, we live too dang far away. Sounds like you guys were able to just hop on over there, no problem. Third of all, the shoe disasters would probably have caused us to divorce. Congratulations on having a fun time and keeping it together. Sorry about your fall, sucks, huh.

Zachariah Parry said...

What a great narrative. I wish I could have been there to witness so many shoe mishaps and your quick-thinking solutions.

Diane said...

What a fun family vacation. I loved the fact that Ryder was ticked about the "blue" teacup. Precious. Also, the gum issues are a drag, but funny story... minus the falling part.
What a fun time!

Natalie said...

I am laughing so hard about the Mark Twain ride. I seriously didn't know people could actually ride that. I always thought there were just a bunch of manaquins piled on. I love all the pictures.

Natalie said...

I swear I know how to spell mannequin.

Linda said...

What a fun time! You didn't tell me you hurt yourself!

Love your blog paper, very cute!

Mel said...

We're going to have to get our dates right next time so that we can go to Disneyland at the same time! :) I am glad you guys had fun.

angela said...

Sounds like you had a great time...Two Disneyland trips in what a two month period?...someone I know is spoiled. (LUCKY!) I can feel your pain with the falling thing (although not so many people to witness mine) I fell down the stairs last week. It is a real bummer to fall..especially as a middle-aged people huh?

Diane said...

Jenn,

Send me your email address since I went private on my blog.

Missy said...

It looks like you guys had a great trip!!!