Monday, November 24, 2008

A Separate Peace

A Separate Peace A Separate Peace by John Knowles


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
It was interesting to read this book as an adult, having read it twice as a teenager. Savannah had to read it for her English class, so I decided to go along for the ride.

I was pleased to find that I still loved the book. There are moments in the book that have always and still are so vivid to me. I was also surprised that there are many crucial events that I didn't recollect at all.

This time around I was struck by Gene's self-discovery. I know that there is a lot more going on, but it was heartbreaking. Savannah disagrees with me. While she did like the book (giving it a 4/5), she did not like Gene at all. I guess I like Gene because I think we all have some "Gene" in us. Even if I imagine that I am more like Phineas in character--or would like to be--it is Gene that I mostly identify with. And not because I have ever done anything truly vindictive or malicious (or have I?), but because I have done things I'm not proud of for reasons that proved unfounded. I have pronounced judgment when I didn't have all the information.

I think that everyone should read this book at some point, even if it is only in preparation for the time when your children will most likely read it.

**This was an audio book. I thought that it was passable. Not great, though. There were a few voices that grated on my nerves every time that character spoke (Brinker). Overall, I will probably just read the actual book next time.**


View all my reviews.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

I loved this book in HS English Lit. class. It is so good and thought provoking.

Natalie said...

That looks really good. I will have to read it. I love the new pictures on your sidebar. I have the cutest nieces and nephews.

Wendy said...

Oh, I loved that book. I better pick it up again.

Missy said...

read it in high school. it's a good one. kite runner reminded me of it. the friendship between the two boys... ya know?