Friday, January 2, 2009

Well Done, Ian McEwan

Atonement: A Novel Atonement: A Novel by Ian McEwan


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
What a beautifully written book! Even though there are harsh scenes and difficult subject matter, there are moments where I thought that what I had just read couldn't have possibly been written any better. It is the type of book where you can see the sorts of tragedies that lie ahead, but that doesn't matter because the writing is so marvelous. And you aren't meant, really, to be in suspense of certain events. Predictability does not diminish the story in the least.

**Audio book review: The narrator Jill Tanner is extremely talented. The subtleties in her voice are perfect. I may search out audio books read by her simply to hear her read them.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I loved the movie. I'll have to read the book.

Linda said...

I'll have to read this book!