Friday, March 27, 2009

It's a Fruit Thing


I don't know what has come over me, but I'm in a recipe sharing mood lately. Natalie had a little shin-dig at her house yesterday and it gave me the perfect excuse to make one of my favorite party foods. Fruit Thing is a slushy concoction that is super yummy. And it's healthy, right? You know--it's fruit. (Never mind the four cups of sugar.) And for your recipe viewing pleasure, I've included pictured steps this time!

Fruit Thing

In a large pan combine 4 cups water and 4 cups sugar. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 5 minutes.


Pour into a large bowl or container. Add 3/4 cup lemon juice, 4 cups cold water and 1 large can of crushed pineapple.



Put the container in the freezer. Freeze until slushy--stiring once every hour or so. (This should take around 6-7 hours.)



Add the following to the slushy mixture: 2 16 oz. packages of frozen whole strawberries, thawed slightly and cut in half; 1 16 oz. package of frozen blueberries; 2 16 oz. packages of frozen raspberries; 1/2 cup seedless red grapes (cut in half, if desired). (OR you can use an equivalent amount of any frozen berries--Costco has a good mix.) Return to freezer.


Before serving, thaw to slushy stage (approximately 1/2-1 hour).

Yummy!

11 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

Those were sooooooooo good!!!! I heart your cooking skills.

Brooke said...

Ohhhh soooooooo goood!!!! I want some more right now.

Jessica said...

That sounds really yummy but way too much work. 6-7 hours? Come on!

Zachariah Parry said...

You're like Julia Childs. Only not crazy. You should do a cooking video next time.

Chris and Karen said...

that looks soooo wonderful!!!

Natalie said...

Oh so good! I think I will go have some right now...

Linda said...

Yum Jennifer! How come you haven't fixed that for us when we come to visit? Aren't we worth 6-7 hours of making a yummy fruit treat?

Diane said...

I love the recipes you post. This one looks delightful and refreshing!

Jana said...

yummie!

Mel said...

Looks so good- I'm totally trying it.

easleyfamily said...

YUM! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try this!