Friday, March 20, 2009

Sometimes it's all About the Food


Last night was the first night of our ward's book club since it was assigned to me. It was a good time. And what is a book club meeting--or any meeting, for that matter--without food?! Well, last night we didn't have to find out. My plan was to have cucumber sandwiches, a simple salad, and a little dessert of some kind. But then Natalie and Brooke got involved and things took a more yummy turn. Brooke lost complete control and made the gorgeous cupcakes you see pictured above. Yes, they each have their own individual flower and bow; and yes, they were delicious. She also made her secret recipe chocolate chip cookies. I would have taken a picture, but they had been devoured by the time I thought to take out my camera. And Natalie dipped strawberries in both white and milk chocolate--yum! (You can see last one or two on the plate behind the cupcakes. Seriously delicious.) Thank you so much, ladies, for your help and attendance.

Cucumber Sandwiches have been a favorite of mine since I worked at my good friend Wendy's reception center way back when. And then, when they catered my wedding, these babies were served at the reception. It was years later, but I just had to get the recipe from Wendy. I've actually had dreams of eating them. And last night, I sure did.

Cucumber Sandwiches

white bread (preferably a hardier white bread like Great Harvest or Granny's)
cucumbers (I like to use English cucumbers best)
4 Tbsp. softened butter
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
seasoning salt (like Lawry's)

Combine butter and cream cheese to make a spread, set aside. Combine sour cream and mayonnaise, set aside. Peel desired amount of cucumbers and slice. Using a round cookie cutter or top of a glass, cut circles out of the center of the slices of bread. (Bread can be cut to any desired size, depending on how many servings you want or the size of the cucumbers.)
Spread each circle of bread with the cream cheese mixture. Place 1-2 cucumbers on bread. Place a dollop of sour cream/mayo mixture on top of each cucumber. Sprinkle a small amount of seasoning salt on top.

I got this recipe for Corn Salsa from my friend Michelle several years ago. I changed it up a bit for last night, but it is always good. I like it best served with Tostitos Lime Tortilla chips, as Michelle suggests!
Corn Salsa

Mix together in a medium sized bowl:
2 cans Green Giant Shoepeg corn
1 bunch of green onions sliced very thin
4 Roma tomatoes cut up into chunks
1 small can of chopped olives (I left these out last night)
(I also add) 2 avacados cut into chunks
1/2 large bottle of Kraft Zest Italian salad dressing (I use fat free)

We also had water flavored with orange and lemon slices. This fact led to a funny Haven conversation:

Haven: Mom? I just had some of that drink. Did you make it?
Me: Well, yes. Natalie helped me. Did you like it?
Haven: Ummm. It just tasted like water.
Me: That is what it is. Water flavored with fruit slices.
Haven: Well, did you forget to add the sugar? I learned on Calliou that you are supposed to add sugar when you make lemonade.
Me: You are supposed to do that. But I wasn't making lemonade.
Haven: Next time you should remember to add the sugar.

Incidentally, the book we talked about was Persuasion by Jane Austen. It wasn't loved by everyone as much as I love it, but I like to think that we had some good conversation.

Upcoming Blog Posts: a flashback to about 18 1/2 years ago and a post about the reason I am a lousy blogger these days (there are actually two reasons--any guesses?--no fair guessing if you already know!).

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the great recipe. I think you should force Brooke to share her Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe... either that or she needs to bake 1 dozen for everyone who leave a comment. Yes, I vote for that :)

As for guessing why you're a lousy blogger these days??? Pregnant? With twins?? Other than that, I would have no idea.

Jenifer Pullman said...

I am guessing the reason you are a lousy blogger is the reason everyone I know is a lousy blogger....including me - FACEBOOK?

Jaime Stephens said...

Yum I think I am willing to drive to vegas for a food group with you guys.... I am excited to try those recipes too those sandwiches sounds so yummy!

I think facebook or pregnant are good guesses lets here it.... And Natalies excusem what is that??

Chris and Karen said...

I'm sorry I missed book club. Darlene said it was great! Guesses, well I am a lousy bloger now because of facebook. I'm pretty sure your not pregos but what about you got a job.

Anonymous said...

would that be 1987????

I don't have any guesses-I think your pretty good at it.......

Jenn
(the osmond fanatic)

Natalie said...

That was such a fun night. All the food was fantastic. My mouth is watering just thinking of those cucumber sandwiches. Brooke's cupcakes were freaking amazing. We should have book club once a week. I honestly have no idea why you aren't blogging as much. Does that make me a bad sister? Jaime, I can use the pregnant excuse so don't give me a hard time. :)

Linda said...

You always are doing something fun and eating something yummy. Why can't we live closer to each other?! I am eating that yummy microwave caramel popcorn right now though....thanks for that recipe! Maybe I'll take a picture of it and post the recipe. Love you!

Jana said...

I am SO BUMMED! My mouth was watering just looking at those cupcakes! I really loved the book, my only complaint was that I felt it ended too quickly!

At least Haven was watching Calliou...remind me to tell you about the time I told my Dad where babies come from because I was watching The Love Boat...and it was all written up in the newspaper.

easleyfamily said...

HEY! My book club is doing Persuasion too! I'm having a hard time getting into it, but I'll let ya know! Those cupcakes look delicious and everything sounds so yummy...you HAVE to have food for book club or any gathering of any sort!!!

Wendy said...

Those cupcakes look professional!
Gorgeous. I want to come to your bookclub, can you move it up North?

Becky said...

Yum.