Sunday, March 22, 2009

Two Reasons I am a Blogging Slacker


I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that several people guessed one of my slacker reasons: Facebook. I am a facebook addict. I fully admit it. It has been so fun to reconnect with so many people I have lost touch with. And it is so great to keep up with family and friends that we live far away from. I initially joined facebook in order to share photos with my mom. But my blog pretty much replaced that need. In the meantime I discovered the most addicting aspect of facebook: Word Twist. When I consider the amount of time I've spent playing that game, I realize that I should be able to ace it every time I play. But I don't. I have a terrible memory these days. But I do love playing. I often use Word Twist as an incentive to get other stuff done. For instance, if I fold a load of laundry I reward myself with a game of Word Twist (in fact, I'm rewarding myself with a game as soon as I finish this post!). I used to spend a lot more time on facebook doing things like taking care of my Green Patch (and all my friends' Green Patches) and taking care of my virtual dog Mandy (and everyone else's dogs). It was actually a little psycho, in a way, because I couldn't sleep at night until I had fed, watered and played with several dogs. Thank goodness I got over that! I still occasionally take care of my Green Patch (I'm helping save the rain forest, you know), but I don't feel responsible for taking care of my friends' patches.


Nobody guessed the second reason! No--I am not pregnant. I won't ever be pregnant again. Reason number two is the Nintendo Wii. More specifically: Wii Fit. I have actually become a pretty avid exerciser. I actually use the Wii Fit, a "game" on the Wii called Fitness Coach and a few other things like walking and stepping. But it takes a chunk out of my day.

It seems like I'm always sharing conversations I have with Haven, so how about one I had a few days ago with Ryder?

Ryder came into my bedroom as I was putting my exercise clothes on:
Ryder: Mom, you doing Wii Fit?
Me: Yes! I am going to do Wii Fit.
Ryder: That awesome.

I love doing the Wii Fit with Ryder in the room. After every activity he cheers for me and tells me I'm doing a good job. He says, "Yea, mom!" He also tells me what he wants me to do. He often chooses hula hoop or the "lope" (this is actually the tight rope) or the penguin game. I actually prefer the boxing game (expert version) or the step games. I don't really appreciate being told that I am not the ideal weight on a daily basis, but that fact does give me some incentive for wanting to change that.


Fitness Coach is pretty good. I like it a lot because the workouts vary in focus every time between upper or lower body, core, flexibility and cardio. I can also choose the duration and track activities I do elsewhere. Maya (my virtual coach) kicks my butt all the time.

So there you have it. Two reasons I stink at blogging lately. I am going to try and do better. You know, for journaling purposes.

13 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

I heart you. I heart Wii Fit. I wish I was better about it. I love your face and hope to see it soon.

Jaime Stephens said...

Wii fit sounds so cool I want to go by a wii and try it out.. And facebook it sucks all the bloggers in...

Jana said...

I can see why you are so busy. I would hope I would be addicted to Wii Fit too...I hope. Good for you!

I am afraid to do facebook for that very reason. I don't have any more time to give to the computer. I have heard it is WAY fun and cool though.

Sarah Goodsell said...

I've gotten addicted on facebook too hence my blog slacking!

Linda said...

I think you still do ok with blogging! At least you have some good "excuses" for not blogging! I don't have any! I don't get on Facebook that much and I don't exercise either! Oh well....I love you and I am going to get a Wii/Wii Fit one day! I love that Ryder cheers for you! So cute!

Lisa said...

Sorry, I didn't get either guesses. I've been wanting to get the Wii Fit too, but haven't made the purchase yet, because I didn't know how well I would like it. Thanks for the review on it. I'll have to put it back on the top of my "to buy" list :)

Diane said...

I have not tried the Wii Fit yet, but sounds like I need to. Wait, does it tell you if you are overweight or not? I might get hurt feelings if so!
I love your food post for book club. Yummy recipies and thank for posting them

Kristen said...

I'm glad that your two-year-old is so encouraging. Every time I try to get on the Wii board my two-year-old pushes me off and tells me it's his turn. It makes for a less than productive workout

Bridget said...

Thanks for the info. on Wii Fit and Fitness Coach. I, too, didn't know if it would be a waste of money. So glad to hear that you like it.

I joined Facebook and belonged for one night. I cancelled after that because of the very thing that you are talking about...it is addicting! I would be too addicted to one more thing! Infortunately, I have no self-control! :)

Bridget said...

I called around and secured my Wii Fit and Fitness Coach this morning! (It is sold out everywhere.)

See, what did I tell you...no self-control at all! I am really excited to try it and to let my 4 & 2 year old boys burn off some energy with it, too.

Thanks again for sharing the info., Jenn.

Brooke said...

Have I told you lately how HOT you are? Well you are. Okay?

easleyfamily said...

I've had to limit myself on FB cuz it sucks me in...I love connecting with people, and the Wii Fit...I WANT IT, I NEED IT!!! :) But, whenever the Wii is on...My kids won't let me touch it :)Way to go Jenn!

Becky said...

I don't do Wii fit and I don't have an account on Facebook and I still don't blog. I wonder what my excuse is. Oh yeah, I don't like to.