Monday, April 27, 2009

Hungry?

The Hunger Games The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is definitely a page-turner (maybe not a completely accurate description considering I listened to the audio book). And as young adult fare goes, it is a bit more sophisticated. The main characters may be children, but they are living adult lives and making (or being forced to make) decisions beyond their years.

Most of my favorite books hinge on my love of the main characters. I'm not sure I love Katniss as much as I've loved some others, but I appreciate her complexity. So much about her is admirable, yet she doesn't (mostly) make decisions based on what will make her lovable. She does what she has to do to guarantee her survival and the survival of those she loves. I'm looking forward to the next book.

**Audio Review: Very adequate. Not amazing, but not distracting. Overall I rather enjoyed listening to this book. I don't typically choose shorter books to listen to, but this was a good one.


View all my reviews.

7 comments:

Karalee said...

This was a very compelling book. Thanks for reviewing books,I love to see what you think.

Jenifer Pullman said...

This is our book club pick for June. Can't wait!

Staci said...

I almost wish I'd waited until September 09 to read this so that the 2nd book would be available...

Is anyone beside me growing weary of series?

Linda said...

I loved this book! Can't wait for the next one...I agree with you Staci!
Great review Jenn! I ditto everything you said!

Hacking it up said...

This is like my new favorite book! I can't wait until the second one comes out in August!!!!

Anonymous said...

I just finished it and LOVED it. It is kind of a combination of the short stories "The Lottery" and "The Most Dangerous Game."

Josie said...

I loved this book!