Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Favorite Kind of Walk



I realize that I've been very bookcentric in my posts lately, but I've been wanting to post about a certain book for quite a while. When I was a little girl I had a favorite picture book. How can you not love a book that has your own name in the title? The book is called "Jennifer's Walk." It is about a little girl named Jennifer who--you guessed it--goes for a walk. There is a map of her walk in the front and back of the book which I always loved. In one of our moves as a kid, I lost it. That fact has always made me very sad. Occasionally I look for it online (it is out of print) and lament the fact that the existing copies are just too expensive.

Imagine my surprise when I got a package in the mail a few months ago. It was "Jennifer's Walk!" And it was from my mom. How sweet is that? I started bawling when I saw it. I am so happy to have it and so grateful to my mom for such a thoughtful gift. I keep it in a special spot--not on the kids' bookshelf. But Haven loves to read it and we enjoy it together often. Thank you so much mom! Now, if I can only find one of those Mandy dolls...

10 comments:

Lisa said...

I had a Mandy doll!!! I remember saving up for it and buying it with "my very own money". Loved her!

Thanks for sharing your book with us. My favorites are (now out of print):

Where's Wallace
James the Jaguar
Dooley and the Snortsnoot

All great books!

Linda said...

I was so excited to surprise you! Mandy.....you loved that doll! Have to see what I can do!

Love you!

Mom

Jessica said...

Your mom is nice. I'm so glad you have your special book now. Plus, you are mega attractive.

Hacking it up said...

What a fun surprise!!! You rock Linda!!!

Natalie said...

You seriously have the cutest mom on the planet. I wish my mom was that great. Oh, wait.....

Jennifer said...

I had that book and totally love it! (its still at my parents with my Mandy doll and your right-I need them)....I'm so glad to think your still enjoying it

Jennifer Jolley Millett.....

Jill said...

aahhh! I had a Mandy doll.

Michelle S. said...

Oh Jennifer! This story made me cry. I love those kinds of gifts! I love the thought and heart that goes into it!

Thank you for sharing this! It totally made my month!

Michelle S. said...

Plus, I love your mom! She always knows!

Becky said...

I had a book named Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. I have no idea if it was any good but I loved it because it had my name in it.