Friday, September 10, 2010

Read this Series

Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3)Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

**SPOILER ALERT**

I bought this book the day it came out and just barely finished it last night--very unlike me. What with school starting and a million birthdays, I couldn't find the time. Before last night I had finished about half of the book. I had a good hour to dedicate to it last night and then couldn't stop.

I was so conflicted while reading. I love a book that can make me uncomfortable and unsure about what I really want from it. Did I want all those people to die? Of course not! But it was more realistic that they did. I felt true anguish for Katniss and her mother when Prim died. And I literally felt sick to my stomach when Coin proposed another Hunger Games. But I was happy with the way things turned out.

I have to address the Gale versus Peeta subject. Going into this book I was torn. They are both great choices. But I think, in the end, she made the right one. Gale is right--she always would have wondered if he inadvertently caused Prim's death. And Katniss is right--she needs someone who can calm her. Peeta hadn't even been rescued before I knew I would pick him for her. And I am so glad it turned out that way. I do sometimes wish that Katniss could see herself in a better light, and I think it is Peeta that helps her do that.

This is not a cheery series. But it is very realistic and complex. And it is hopeful. Though it is set in an imagined future, it is not all that far-fetched. I love the way Collins writes. All her characters come to life in such a complete way. I am sad the series is over, but I think the ending was perfect.


View all my reviews

5 comments:

Aivaz Family said...

I agree with everything you said. I was in agony as I was reading because I really thought she might not end up with Peeta and that would have made me throw the book across the room. such a good series and I am very sad it's over.

Becky said...

I love hearing such good things about a series that I haven't read and it is finished so I can read it all at once.

Jessica said...

Mom, and now you know the ending.

I agree. When all the Peeta stuff happened, I was devastated... and had to put the book down because of my kids and was so depressed the rest of the day..until I finished it. I'm so glad there was a positive epilogue!

Linda said...

Great review Jenn....although this wasn't my favorite book out of the series....i loved the ending and I too am sad the series is over.

Becky said...

I hate to disagree but I did NOT like the ending and I did NOT love the series. I thought she ended up with the wrong guy and she is a whiner.